Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass elite 2 96-97?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I am contemplating selling this bass, as the tone is not really what I want it to be. I've looked at a few sites, asked a few "experts" and have gotten it's value estimated at anywhere from $400-$1200. I have no idea what this bass is actually worth. Not wanting to get ripped off, or even to sell it if it's a two or three hundred dollar bass, I thought I'd ask some real life bassists what the value (real or perceived ;) ) of this bass might be. Any hints or help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

edit: the bass is in the following condition, body and paint are good, a few dents and dings, nothing serious. The electronics are working perfectly, tuning machines and other hardware are fault free. I'll try to get a picture asap.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    What does the "96-97?" mean. If that was the year it was made, it is not an Elite.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    See, that's what I mean. I have the card and tweed case w/serial number that says it's an elite, but the date part is unreadable. A so called "expert" to;d me that's what year it is. He also told me it's worth $900. which I have a very hard time believing.

EDIT: Do'h, that should say 86-87. I'm an idiot.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    This isn't mine, but looks exactly the same.

[​IMG]

5. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Is the date part in the serial number on the headstock unreadable?

6. If it's an 86 the serial # should start with E6. My 83 MIA P starts with E3.....

That color is called Sienna Sunburst. I happen to like the Elites myself and I was actually actively searching for one at a point. Depending on the condition I've seen them go in the $600 to $1000 range. Why don't you believe the guy who said $900?

Jeff

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Sweet bass Josh, I have a regular P in that color.. When you decide a price let me know I might be interested if the price is right.
    I'm looking to get rid of my Mexi J5 as for 5 string is just not for me and I might have a little extra cash kicken around in a week or so.

You looking for a good 5 string? I'll trade ya well I'll throw in some cash also.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I just didn't think they cost that much. I bought mine from a private seller, guess I got a great deal! I'll look at the serial number when I get home, I'm at work a.k.a. hell, right now.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm good on fivers but I'll let you know if I do decide to sell it.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

Cool!

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I didn't know that was the date!

12. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm sorry, that post was made in a bit of a hurry - I didn't mean to imply that this is common knowledge. I just wanted to clarify which serial number you were referring to when you said it was unreadable. Although "...case w/serial number..." should be clear enough. :oops:

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Don't worry about it, I was just sort of laughing at myself now that I know the answer was staring me in the face the entire time. I'm stuck here at work until 11:30 though and can't check it.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That wouldn't be an Elite either. I'll bet the serial number on your headstock starts with E3, that would make it an '83. All the P Elites I have ever seen or read about have been '83s, but Fender is supposed to have made some in '84 (E4). I have seen them go for $600 to $1000 or more for one of the gold Elites.
    I have two of them, both '83s. One is an Elite I, the other is an Elite II. It would take more than $800 to get either one of mine. Actually, I am not planning to ever sell them.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I post when I get home RE: the date. The tweed on the case I have is rather threadbare at this point, would that detrach a lot from the price? It's still a solid case, just well worn. This was my main gigging bass for quite some time.

16. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i seen a cat on e-bay TRYING to seel his for a few weeks,he had a "buy it now" price of like 750.00 $ and it never sold or hit the reserve(the resereve was close to the BIN price)i dont believe the bass EVER got sold,no-one would pay that kind of money(he even lowered the price a few times by incremints of 50.00$ and it never went.)the way to get the most for your bass is put it up on e-bay,set the reserve for a price that you feel is "fair",if it dont hit the number,you are not required to sell it.and if you get "cold feet"the auction cold be ended w/out selling it.:D

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No big deal to me. If I can't get close enough to what it's worth I'd just keep it. I don't hate it by any means, it's just not really my favorite sound right now. I'm not even sure that I really want to let it go. I could probably be convinced either way.

/how's that for decisive? :D

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It does start with E3.