Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass elite 2pup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, not sure if this goes in basses, pickups or setup, but, I have a Fender P-bass elite 2. It has two active P style pups. I also have a Conklin with Barts in it, which I prefer the sound of by A LOT. I was wondering, what about switching out the pups in the Fender for some higher end ones with a better preamp? Exp. or advice welcome, thanks. Mods, please put this wherever it goes. Thanks.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Elite pickups and preamp are odd ducks. The pickups are NOT the standard P-bass shape so new pickups will entail body routs plus reworking the pickguard. Before you do that, decide if you are OK with modifying what will soon be a vintage instrument.

I assume you like the playing feel of the Fender. You might consider buying a new body (Warmoth, etc.) fitting it with the electronics you like than bolting on the Elite neck and bridge. That way you could mate the neck to the original body later if you want/need to sell it.

Finally, compare the tone of the Conklin to the Fender UNPLUGGED. Part of the tonal difference is the pickups, but part is the body and neck itself and new pickups can't change that.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    True, thanks! The Conklin is much more acoustically "live" unplugged. I definitely don't want to screw with the body and pick guard.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you don't like the P Elite, I would say leave it as it is and sell it. Customizing instruments is a money-losing proposition that costs you money initially and then costs you again when you go to sell it.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, that's true. Maybe I'll hold onto it for a while and see if my opinion changes.