1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P Bass Help ( is this a 06 fender lyte or cowpoke)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tpowered, Oct 20, 2009.

1. tpowered

tpowered

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi there, I am new on playing basses so I dont have that much knowledge on them but I was considering getting this fender p bass. Does anyone know the model for this one and how much are usually would this p bass cost. Cause I am interested in getting this one. But anyways thanks for helping a noob out :)

Attached Files:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Fender Precision special, something or other, also known as a Cow Poke.

3. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    like J. said, it's a Precision Special, made in Mexico. A used one shouldn't cost you more than a 2 or 3 hundred.(I think they were around $700. new in the 80's). If you have played it and like the way it feels in your hands, I'd suggest that it's a great beginners bass. Remember if you come to not like the sound/pickups or discover different pickups you'd like, you can always swap them out. Or you may simply out grow it, at which point you've not spent much. Also it is a P/J so the jazz pickup gives you more versatility in tone options, which is always good as a beginners direction is relatively unknown.

Welcome to the world of bass. Good Luck.

Bri

4. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    I don't think this is a true Fender. Correct me if we are wrong.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Nope, they're legit.

tpowered, check out a thread started for owners of these basses--you should get good advice there. I've never tried one, but I've heard they're a great bang for the buck. And, welcome!:)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506195

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    And Eaglemoon is a good person to PM. She has almost always had one in her arsenal, she can tell you all that is needed.

7. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    These were made for a short time in the mid-90s, and discontinued. I just had one for a few months, and loved it...just couldn't get past how beat up it was (I know, shouldn't have bought it in the first place, but GAS got the best of me) and didn't have the time for a refin, so I sold it off. The P/J style is great, and I loved having the bass/treble boost controls. They are nice little basses, and definitely unique. Anywhere from $250-$350 would be a fair price, depending on what shape it's in and whether or not it comes with a case.

It's legal name is the Fender Precision Bass Special, but it's known as the Cowpoke around here...I have some simple electronics diagrams and the manuals in PDF form from Fender if you (or anyone else) needs them...just gotta dig through my Gmail to find them.

8. tpowered

tpowered

Oct 20, 2009
    if its $375 used in candaian with soft bag + tuner is it worth it.... apparently the guy paid 840 for it 2 years ago o.o and he saids he got receipts.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    You couldnt buy these new two years ago, IIRC.

Sounds fishy.

10. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    He could've bought it NOS...they were discontinued in 1998, according to the Fender material I have.

Well, nevermind...it never says when they were discontinued...but that's the date I seem to remember from threads on here. But they were definitely introduced in 1994.

11. tpowered

tpowered

Oct 20, 2009
    The guy sellling it saids its a 05 or 06 fender p bass lyte ... by anyt=cahnce this is true... cuz if it is i wana phone him back.... thanks for all the help guys and girls =D you been helpign me a lot

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    P Bass Lyte (a Fender Japan product) was discontinued before '05, too. The P Lyte also has a different body style. The pics posted are definitely a "cowpoke", not a P Lyte.

13. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    If you don't believe it's a Cowpoke, go to that thread GregC linked. A whole herd of 'em in there.

14. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    GregC, thanks, I was not aware of that. I have one of the newer p-bass specials, so that threw me off.

15. lol,06'????. cowpokes were discontinued wayyy before that.

16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's a cowpoke. Who cares what he paid when he bought it ? If he really has a cowpoke, it should go in the $250-$350 range. The one pictured looks to be in great shape, so probably toward the higher end of the range. Try it out....if you like it, buy it. If not, don't worry about it.

Some of you guys crack me up with your conspiracy theories. Often times people don't know what they really have. It's simple. If it matches the pictures, then it is a cowpoke, regardless of what the guys receipt says, and it is worth what it's worth, period. Not everyone is attempting to deceive buyers or pull some scam, especially on a $300 MIM Fender bass with a limited marketability. The shop probably wrote the receipt wrong, or they had a NOS and couldn't remember the actual model name, or whatever. Still doesn't change the fact that "it is what it is, and it's worth what it's worth".

17. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you! That's what I was trying to convey with my other two posts, but you managed to do it all in one clear, concise post. I'm going to blame the lack of coffee on my end :smug:

18. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Its definitely a Cowpoke (P bass special) My one and only Fender is a '95 Burst Cowpoke. Man what a killer bass. The necks are a tad longer on them then other Ps so keep that in mind. I saw someone here not too long ago that needed a new neck for their Cowpoke and couldnt find one anywhere that would fit right scale wise. The necks are wide like a P bit thin like a J and as you can see are P/J hybrids in pups. Wicked wicked basses.

I have seen prices range a lot more then some here have noted though. I paid $500 for mine but mine was almost dead mint and came with its OHSC too (plus its got some really odd woodgrain on it) so that probably was partly why. It was worth every penny to me and Id pay it all over again if I had to. Thats how wicked these basses are. They do seem to average about $250-300 though. Why Fender stopped making them is beyond me though. Just makes no sense. As far as I know they stopped making them back around 98 from what Ive learned. If someone bought one new 'a couple of years ago' I'd say it was dead stock resurfaced.

I say grab that Cowpoke and hang onto as long as you can!

19. Paniconthenet

Paniconthenet

Aug 26, 2009
    Albany, GA
    If you dont buy it, someone else will, they look awesome!

20. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    P-bass Lyte ...

[​IMG]

Cowpoke ...

cow2-1.