Fender P bass help!!!!!! needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Aug 9, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i need some help with fender p basses why can't i find one that doesn't have an annoying dark wood strip down the back of the neck and are there p basses made in 1999-2000 and how would i buy one?
    or even better
    what year has the "best" sounding highest output electronics please help thanks
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dude, need a grammar dictionary more than the P bass... :D
    Better clean it up before King Fuqua'd comes and murders you with his hose.

As for the "dark wood strip", you might want that. It reinforces the neck, and adds strength. Whats the problem with it? Its GOOD.

As for "high output electronics", theyll all be the same, more or less. Go for one with active electronics. Are you looking for straight P, or P/J?
  3. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    The "dark stripe" is where they installed the truss rod. I think that one of the resident "Fender" experts would be able to help you with more info.
  4. Here's the lowdown.

The dark stripe on the back of the neck, known as the 'skunk stripe', was originally to fill up the hole through which the truss rod was fitted. As the necks were made of one piece maple, including the fingerboard, there was no other way of getting into the neck. The wood itself adds nothing structurally...it just closes the hole.

Fender stopped using a skunk stripe between 1960 and around 65, when they introduced rosewood fingerboards. As the truss rod could now be loaded from under the fingerboard, they abandoned the stripe.

Fender restarted maple finger boards, and reintroduced the skunk stripe in, I think, the late 60s. As the stripe had now become part of the Fender image, they left it in, even on rosewood fingerboard necks.

In the past decade, Fender have started producing graphite reinforced bass necks. There is no room in these necks to include the reinforcement AND the skunk stripe, so the stripe goes. If you have a look at the recent American Deluxes, and Standards, you will notice no skunk stripe. You will also notice that even the maple fingerboard necks are two part...neck and separate fingerboard.

If you look at the non graphite reinforced vintage series basses, you'll see they still have skunk stripes.