1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P-Bass help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mtman1, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mtman1

mtman1

Aug 11, 2010
    I just picked up a fender p bass that, according to the serial number, was MIA in '95-'96. I have a question regarding the finish and pickguard. The finish is a transparent red color; I would say it's candy apple red. The pickguard is an aged pearl. My question is was that finish and pickguard offered from the factory or was this bass refinished? Thanks.

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    CAR isnt transparent. You may be referring to Crimson Transparent. I think it would help immensely if you would post some pics. Preferably in good light.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Check the color charts at Fender.com for a matchup. The pickgurad could be almost anything. If it is a refinish, there should be some evidence of it usless it was done by a very professional painted.

4. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Maybe it's Crimson Cherryburst. I think this was only available for a couple of years. Same as Crimson Red Transparent with a darker opaque red around the edge.
    But without pics...

5. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Candy apple red is a transparent red over a metallic undercoat,(usually gold) giving a metallic red effect. If it's simply a transparent red over bare wood, you would see the woodgrain. Which is it?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021