1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P bass info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Oct 28, 2003.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lookin' for some feedback... I have played the same bass for 20 years - Fender Jazz body, P maple neck, Badass II bridge, Hipshot on the E string, and Dimarzio neck pickup (trust me - everyone who played it loved it). Ugly, but I LOVE the sound.

I'm playing mostly R&B, and looking to get a Precision bass for the classic sound. My question is this: At what level are Fender basses the best bang for the buck - Highway 1 - American, or what?

Talk to me ...

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    US made basses tend hold hold their value best. I would go for a US '62 reissue P Bass.

The HWY 1 is assembled in the US, but with mexico parts and a cheaper finish.

3. I notice you play a bass with a J body and a P neck. If you choose a Highway 1 or an American Series, the neck will probably be narrower (1.625" at the nut)than what you're used to playing. If that's a problem, you'll want to look at the '57 or '62 reissues (1.75" at the nut). I don't think the finishes on the Highway 1 basses are "cheaper" as much as they are "different" because they are lacquer, just matte rather than shiny.

4. dhloden

dhloden

Mar 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Are you looking for a used or new bass? Light wear, or lots of 'character'?

IMO 1970's Fender P's still represent a good deal. But be careful. Quality was dodgy in the 70's at Fender. Some basses are real keepers, where others have the sustain of a coffee table.

I haven't looked at a new Fender in awhile so I cannot comment. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I have a Dimarzio PU in mine as well and I get similar comments.

Donnie.

5. for the P basses, I think the Fender US made P bass is nice. I would change the pickups in it. or a 62' re-issue, I just think that those are a little spendy. another one to consider is the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, a very nice bass and it really nails the vintage 60's fender P bass sound.

6. I enjoy palying both my standard P bass and my standard Jazz bass.

Yes, the necks are different but so is the music you are talking about, therefore the different necks.

A Standard P bass with the Duncan API replacement sounds good and plays well!

[​IMG]
    Treena