Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Oct 28, 2003.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lookin' for some feedback... I have played the same bass for 20 years - Fender Jazz body, P maple neck, Badass II bridge, Hipshot on the E string, and Dimarzio neck pickup (trust me - everyone who played it loved it). Ugly, but I LOVE the sound.

I'm playing mostly R&B, and looking to get a Precision bass for the classic sound. My question is this: At what level are Fender basses the best bang for the buck - Highway 1 - American, or what?

Talk to me ...

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    US made basses tend hold hold their value best. I would go for a US '62 reissue P Bass.

The HWY 1 is assembled in the US, but with mexico parts and a cheaper finish.

3. I notice you play a bass with a J body and a P neck. If you choose a Highway 1 or an American Series, the neck will probably be narrower (1.625" at the nut)than what you're used to playing. If that's a problem, you'll want to look at the '57 or '62 reissues (1.75" at the nut). I don't think the finishes on the Highway 1 basses are "cheaper" as much as they are "different" because they are lacquer, just matte rather than shiny.

4. dhloden

dhloden

Mar 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Are you looking for a used or new bass? Light wear, or lots of 'character'?

IMO 1970's Fender P's still represent a good deal. But be careful. Quality was dodgy in the 70's at Fender. Some basses are real keepers, where others have the sustain of a coffee table.

I haven't looked at a new Fender in awhile so I cannot comment. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I have a Dimarzio PU in mine as well and I get similar comments.

Donnie.

5. for the P basses, I think the Fender US made P bass is nice. I would change the pickups in it. or a 62' re-issue, I just think that those are a little spendy. another one to consider is the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, a very nice bass and it really nails the vintage 60's fender P bass sound.

6. I enjoy palying both my standard P bass and my standard Jazz bass.

Yes, the necks are different but so is the music you are talking about, therefore the different necks.

A Standard P bass with the Duncan API replacement sounds good and plays well!

[​IMG]
    Treena