1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender (P bass, jazz, vintage hot rod 60's P/J), Gibson (Thunderbird) or Ibanez (SR 1600, 1800) ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RexxRokket, Feb 7, 2015.

1. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    Hello there, to anyone who could help me out with my current dilema: Im looking forward to make my 1st '' high end '' purchase, and I ended choosing these brands/basses out of the rest. I've seen a lot of videos and Ive read some reviews aswell, but when it comes to this kind of stuff I just like to come here ;).

Im looking for objective opinions/hints over subjective stuff (please). Firstly I was going straight to the Thunderbird but then I got to listen to the SR 1600/1800 and well... it is not an easy choice for me now, plus I've always liked those Fender USA basses aswell.

I know... '' go and play all of them and then let your ears decide for you '' very nice, indeed... but I can't do it here just because theres not any single music stores with those basses, it is not possible for me right now, plain and simple. So here it is, every kind of help its very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I'd personally go with either a P or J. Why? I like the sound of them the most, plus their ergonomics. The Ibanezs seem more modern to me, the Gibson is a unique and nice-looking bass, but the sound in my head lies with Fenders.

Now, it depends on what you would like to achieve - what music do you mostly play? One very specific kind, or a variety of stuff? A Jazz will suit you well in most situations, as will (in a smaller degree) a Precision. I haven't play a Thunderbird, so I can't have an objective judgement - on the other hand, I have tried some Ibanezs, but their sound character didn't work for me.

It's totally up to you and your goal. Moreover, if one of these basses "speaks" the most to you, I think you will be able to match it to you. :) It is not solely the bass that gives birth to the sound, but also your hands/amp etc.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021