Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass Lyte....any experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mentalretard27, Jun 14, 2001.

1. mentalretard27

mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    Right now I own a MIM jazz, and I'm thinking its about time to get something a bit better. I'm not really willing to spend a crazy amount (under 800 or so?). I tried out a Fender Percision Lyte today and I was pretty impressed with it compared to other basses in that price range. Does anyone own one that could tell me a bit more about it, or that's tried one and could give any suggestions on other basses in this price range? I play mostly alternative/punk so I don't need anything too fancy, just something that plays nice. Thanks!

2. I played one for years. They're fine. You could get a hell of a used bass for $800 though.

3. mentalretard27

mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    That is true, I have no problem with used. I DO however have a problem getting used gear. I have very little trust in places like ebay (I've been ripped off there before) and where I'm from, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good used stuff floating around. Know of any reliable sources to get used gear? Would it be possible to get a used Musicman in that range?

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Alternative/Punk? A P-bass would be just the thing. You could swing an American one for $800-900 and a used one for less than that.

Personally, I like MIJ's and MIA's, but I do not care for the MIM's at all. Maybe you could even sell the MIM to get more dough for an American P-Bass.

The P-Lyte sounds good too, but they sounded more funky to me than a regular Precision. They have a P-J pickup setup if I recall, so that's probably why.

A Stingray would run several hundred more, and while the P-Bass is not noted for its versatility, it is well suited to the styles of music you mentioned.

5. mentalretard27

mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    A P bass would be a good idea too. I've played guitar for several years, so I have a hard time playing on a fat neck such as the P bass. The P Lyte has more of a jazz neck to it, though I'm sure I'd get used to the fatter one. I'll look into a used P bass and see what kind of prices are out there, thanks!

6. Have you checked out any pawnshops in your area or used music supply stores? You'll be surprised what you find in places like those. Once I saw a nice MusicMan selling for under $500 (this is Canadian funds, too!).

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yes! That's one of the things I remembered about the P-Lyte, the punch that was mentioned. It had a unique sound for a Fender, punchy and funky...good for slap. The first time I saw one, I was in awe because I never knew they existed.

If the standard P-Bass neck is a little chunky for you, I wonder if there might be an aftermarket J-style neck you could pick up. That way you still get the P-Bass body, pups, and electronics but with a slimmer neck. I would think there is something like that out there, but I really don't know.

Another bass you could check out is the SB-1. Bass Northwest has some at www.bassnw.com. Look under G&L basses to see the ones I mean. They typically discount new G&L's 40-45% off list. I bet the SB-1's go for $650-700.

You may not be able to hear these in a store unless they have some used G&L's, but I assure you that G&L's sound really good. There's also the SB-2, which is a P-J pup config, and they are quite popular among those who have tried them. I play their L-2000's and love 'em. I've also played a used SB-1 and liked the sound. The neck is comparable to the Fender P-Bass neck though, so that may be an issue for you.

Here's a used SB-1 for $499: http://bassnw.com/Used Basses/gl_sb1_black_4_st.htm

Seems like a good deal, but I would recommend you avoid rosewood fingerboards for your type of music, go with maple.

I don't have any affiliation with Bass Northwest, I just pointed them out because I know they had a lot of G&L's in stock this year with great pics.

8. mentalretard27

mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    I had a look at that Northwest bass site, they do have a fair amount of decent used stuff. I was considering a G & L too, but I thought there were a bit too expensive. I guess you get what you pay for though, I should probably save for a bit more and get something a bit better. The G & L L2000 or whatever looks like something I might like. I'll have to check and see if anyone around here (toronto area) sells them. Thanks!

9. Look for a used Fender Hot Rod P, its got a P body, P and J pups, a J neck, and its about $900 new. Look around at resputible online retailers. check out www.basspalace.com www.bassgear.com www there are several more, go to www.goggle.com and do a search for used basses or something like that

10. Looking at recently completed auctions at ebay, yes you could get a musicman for $800. I've bought expensive stuff from ebay no problem. Other places to look are bassgear.com and harmony-central.com. Also, right here on talkbass.

11. mentalretard27

mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    Well thanks for all of your help people! I think i'll pass on the P bass lyte for now. Probably a better idea to save a bit more cash and get something a bit better. I was thinking maybe a hot rodded P? I'm pretty sure I tried one once and if I recall it had a slimmer neck than usual Ps do, but I could be wrong. Anyway i've seen a few on ebay (though I'm still kind if hesitant to buy on there) for a good price. We'll see! I'm just anxious to get ANYTHING new right now, my MIM jazz really isn't cutting it hehe.