Fender P-Bass Lyte Fretless on Ebay - Go for it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Oct 22, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've got one exactly like this. Mine is still a stock fretted model and it's a bit more beat-up. I say with %99.9 certainty that the fretless job is aftermarket. I have done a good bit of research on the P-Lytes and have only seen a couple that were stock fretless. All of the MIJ fretless basses I have seen have no lines or inlays on the board also.
    I will tell you this...it's definately a unique sounding instrument. It's very light and is a great stage bass for this reason. The electronics in mine failed and I replaced them with a two-band Bart pre and I also replaced the cheapo knobs. The factory pickups are pretty decent and I get a pretty brite sound out of the bass even with the rosewood board. The blend knob really makes it a good P or J sound either way you go. Tuners hold true better than any I have ever used. I have a set of Hipshot tuners with 27/1 ratio and they are neck and neck with these. Be forewarned though....if you decide on this one you better like a very, very skinny Jazz neck. The P-Lyte has the skinniest neck of any bass I have ever had the pleasure of playing but I personally prefer a J neck over a P.
    Hope this helps...and I wouldn't pay over 325-350 shipped.
  3. I played a 3 hour gig with a fretted model earlier this year (was flying in and the sound company provided it). My feelings pretty much echo Razor's.

Very comfortable, light weight, small J neck. Reasonably good pickups and overall sound (although I definitely missed my EMG PJ's). A little light in the P booty area. Dunno if this was the pickups or just the natural resonance of the very light body. Should have a good fretless sound.
  4. I think it's a good bass but I wouldn't pay more than $500.00. They play and sound good, but they sound better if you replace the pickups!

I've recorded a couple but they had the Seymore Duncan pups in them!

5. peatea

Sep 26, 2003
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Its beautiful, but I'd suspect that you'd have to coat the rosewood with something before it got chewed up like crazy?
  7. peatea

Sep 26, 2003
    I have a rosewood board on my fretless and for the moment I am using round wounds. They are not doing the wood any good. I will be switching to either flat wounds or tape wounds soon. They will not harm the rosewood.

8. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    One of my friends has the fretted version of this bass. It really is very nice! The person who got it for $305 practically stole it! Wish I had it....:rolleyes: