Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P-Bass Lyte Preamp Failure?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dysonance, Aug 16, 2005.

1. dysonance

dysonance

Aug 16, 2005
    I have an older japanese fender P-Bass lyte and recently it began cutting out (as if loosing battery life), and then eventually just stopped working. I have had 3 great guitar techs look at it, replace the battery terminals, clean the pots, and even check the pick-ups. My guess is that the pre-amp is fried. I would like to keep the bass all original, being it a rare breed, so where would I find the same pre-amp, or...how could I fix it? Any suggestions would be sweet.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Not something that shows often. Personally I'd pick up a replacement and make the mod reversible. Eventually you'll run across one and you can pick it up and hold it till you sell the bass and change it out and sell the replacement. I would't waste anytime waiting one cuase it could be a while and the bass is useless unless you want to run it passive.

Haven't looked but doesn't seem there are that many Lytes around, let alone the pres for them.

You might also contact Fender cause they may have stuck the same pre in lots of basses. Seems the Lyte was Japanese (or maybe that was the Propehcy, whatever).