1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P Bass Lyte

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattattack187, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I was searching my local Craigslist ads and came across this Fender P Bass Lyte. I've never seen one of these. Does anyone here own one? And what year were these originally manufactured and priced for? Thanks.

http://maine.craigslist.org/msg/3672439745.html

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    90's. Good quality. Mine's like that one only it's in worse shape. Some people don't like the electronics. I think they're ok except the j pickup is very close to the bridge and sounds very thin solo'd.

The price is about right for one in that condition. Undervalued, IMO. Should be about 7 pounds. Small, fast jazz type neck.

Search "lyte" and you'll find more info.

3. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I have a P Lyte Deluxe, similar to this. They're MIJ. It was a great deal. The Deluxe is solid mahogany, natural finish, gold hardware. Mine is 1997-98 vintage. Strung with TI jazz flats and has a Seymour Duncan neck pickup; it came to me that way.

I play mine at church. It's easy to play seated, and with the jazz neck, easy to play period. Nice fretwork, fairly low action. With the two pups blended 50/50 it sits very well in the mix. It has surprising authority for a lightweight bass. There is a 3-band EQ, a pickup blend knob and a volume control. Active only, runs on a 9V battery.

I'd say that price is reasonable, but you might be able to do better. Then again, if you love it, they don't exactly have one hanging on the wall in every retail store!

There was a MIM version that replaced this model when it was discontinued. Word on the street is that these MIJs are better. I sure do dig mine. :bassist:

4. They weigh nothing, thew active electronics are ok. The neck is jazz specs. They were made by 2 different factories for Fender. The older ones are better than the brand new ones. I love mine, they are worth between $250 and $500 depending on the color and condition.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a white 95 P Lyte. The bass itself is killer but the active electronics in it are garbage IMHO. I've got EMG PJ's and a BQC preamp in mine now, and I am MUCH happier. I also have tried DiMarzip Model PJ's and Duncan Quarter Pounders to keep it passive, and they're good but not bright enough for me. It doesn't respond well to vintage-style pickups for some reason, though. Once tried a 62 CS P pickup in it and it sounded as weak as the original electronics, even though the same pickup absolutely crushes in my 76 Precision.

6. Kickass

Kickass

Jul 20, 2012
    Scottish Borders
    I have a Lyte just like that. The delux has gold hardware. Good bass but lots of people have problems with battery life (unplug the jack) and many others mod the pickups (my amp needs modding/replacing first). I paid £350 10 years ago. My Washburn and Kickassbass get played more now.
    Dane

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I had the P Bass Lyte Deluxe. Mahogany with gold hardware. It was one of the easiest basses to play at a gig because:

1. It sounded decent.
    2. It was LIGHT!!!!!
    3. It had a killer neck.

My dad has it now. He hounded me for years. He can not sell it to anyone else but me.

If you like the way it sounds/plays, get it. Mine was excellent quality!

8. I still miss mine, even though it was stolen almost 20 years ago. Light as a feather, fantastic fast neck, just overall a lovely instrument. Everytime I see one for sale, I'm tempted to bring one back into the stable. With the prices they go for nowadays ($300-500 range depending upon condition), I think they are an absolute steal.

Edit: Just looked at the linked ad you posted - I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. Go get it, you will not regret it.

9. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That's a good price and they are fantastic basses. Light, resonant, easy to play, made very well.
    The electronics may not change the world, but they are decent enough. And this comes with a case! That's a great deal. And if it doesn't do it for you, you can EASILY sell it on TB.