Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender P bass made in Japan???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattm0805, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I know that the Fender standard P-bass are made in Mexico. Can anyone tell me about the Made in Japan models? Do they still make them? What's the price range on a used ect?

Thanks

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i *think* the mij ones are about the same price as a new mim, sorta around 300-400 pound(not sure how much that is in dollars)

3. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    How's the quality on a MIJ?

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think they are pretty good. The artist signatures are usually MIJ (marcus miller, geddy lee).

ive never played them though......

5. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Mine is an 80's P-Bass Lyte...$450, including a Fender case
    all original parts..it's in excellent condition.
    When i took it in for a local setup, the tech thought it was new.

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I just recently purchased a mid 80's MIJ P-bass and it is nothing short of amazing. From what I was told it had been used in a Nashville studio for many years and I totally understand why. The thing has a great tone, it's fairly light, and the action is so low it's almost touching the frets yet there is no fret buzz at all. This bass and my MIA Jazz are my top basses in my small aresenal......I don't think I'll EVER sell these two....EVER.

here's a pic of it...

[​IMG]

I paid about $600 for mine, but after playing it I was sold.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    MIM Precisions run about 425-450 new. CIJ Precisions vary from about $450-650 new, plus about a hundred bucks in shipping and taxes.

Used, they run about the same price ish, about $400-600.

8. I got an 80's MIJ P off the bay a few months ago for 250.00. It was a friggin steal! Sunburst, white pg, very low action. Put some new pots and new strings on it.

I'm keeping it forever.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Older stuff from 80's and 90's are very good.

10. Check out this link.

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/fenderjp/
    click on "EBass" at the top of the page

I have a P bass that I bought from them. Fender Japan makes great instruments. Mine plays like butter and I love the tone. Classic P tone. Go For It. Cost me about $600 shipped to NY.

11. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    the one that I'm looking at is a short scale. What do you think about short scale P-basses?

Thanks,

12. I don't know any thing about it except that the bass player from the Stones played one for years.

13. I've heard that the Japanese Fenders rival the American made ones when it comes to quality.

14. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I have an 80's MIJ Pbass that I bought new almost 20 years ago. It was my first bass. I have been through SO many basses since then including some pretty expensive ones and yet I still play and gig with this baby all the time today. That will tell you something...

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I find that the MIJs have slightly poorer hardware/electronics than the MIAs. But the MIJs are better built. The fretwork in particular tends to be much more consistent.

But this is all IMHO, YMMV.

16. MIJs (CIJs) are often as good or better than the average MIA, in my opinion. As for electronics, I think they are the same.. at least they are in my two basses (MIA, CIJ). :)

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
  18. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I own a Fotoflame model Jbass from Japan, early 90's. Very well made bass. Also owned a Japanese Jbass fretless and a Geddy Lee. Also well made. Way better than any of the Mexican Fenders and in some cases even the American Fenders.