1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P-Bass Pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monoBEAR, Feb 27, 2008.

1. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

Feb 23, 2008
    Indiana 812
    I have a 62 re-issue P-Bass MIJ and I am trying to find a black pickguard for it. Everywhere I look online I see pickguards for MIA or MIM but not for MIJ. Alot of places have a very strict return policy about these items. I don't wanna order one and it not fit. Any suggestions about where I can buy one or do you think a MIA pickguard would work?

Thanks.

2. IndyBass

IndyBass

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Indiana
    Don't know if this helps, but I installed the official Fender 62RI tort pickguard on an '87 MIJ P-bass, and the holes lined up perfectly. If they're still making the MIJ's with the same hole pattern (you don't mention when your MIJ was made), it seems like an MIA guard should work (based on my one data point).

3. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

Feb 23, 2008
    Indiana 812
    i'm not exactly sure what year it was made. i will have to check the serial number. thanks for your help though. i think an offical fender pickguard would work.

4. I've returned a P-Bass pickguard to Musicians Friend before, so theres that...

If they have what you're looking for, you may want to try them. Nice return policy if it doesn't fit.

5. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    If your not sure that a ready-made is gonna fit, some makers, like Pickguard Heaven, allow you to mail in your original to be used as a template. In fact, they require it for some models due to slight variations. Of course, they send the old one back to ya with the new.

6. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

Feb 23, 2008
    Indiana 812
    sweet! thanks for the suggestions, guys. i will try that pickguard heaven place. sounds cool. :hyper:

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1, A 62' RI pickguard fit perfectly on my MIJ Jazz as well. This is pretty much across the board on all MIJ's.

8. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    I ordered from them before & was pleased with the product. Hope you'll be too.

9. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Get a drill ;)