Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P Bass Pickup is noisy??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arwai, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have a MIA Fender Deluxe 5 string P Bass. I changed the stock preamp to obp-1 and add some switches for pickup selection and preamp on/off.

After all modification, I found that the humbucker is absolutly quiet. But the P pickup (which is a split-coil should have no noise) is a bit noisy unless the tone is totally roll-off.

Is this a normal situation for a P pickup? or if I have something missed (grounding) inside?

Thank you,

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

A split P is effectively an HB pup, two coils with current flow in opposite directions (assuming it's the typical two lead P, if it's 4 lead you might not have wired it humbucking). Some HB's are noisey, some P's are. Some true single coil J's are suprisingly quiet.

Wire the P straight to the jack and run it off amp controls. If it hums you know it has nothing to do with the controls, if it doesn't then something in the controls is generating it if it's an electrical supply issue and not external interference.

Check the bridge ground with a meter first to make sure it's connected. The HB may be internally sound enough to where it wouldn't make any difference whether it was grounded or not.

3. IMO, P's are always somewhat noisy. What I have done in the past was common ground the electronics, and the hum silences or at least reduces significantly.

4. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    let me check and try again later~
    Thx alot~