1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P bass pickup too low

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sam Dingle, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Hey y'all. Hoping this is the right place to post this. I have an american standard p bass and the bass pickup (one where my thumb should rest) always dips too low. The screw is out as car as it can go but i feel like the spring or whatever is under there isn't keeping it up. Is there a way I can fix this. It makes me not want to play this bass. Thanks.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Remove the pickup and put some foam underneath it.

3. You can always sell me the American P. Hehe.

But yes, put more foam underneath. There are no springs underneath the pickups. It's the foam that allows it to be raised or lowered as it does. It also adds some leverage to it. I have about two pieces per pickup on my P and it raises and lowers beautifully

4. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    You probably need some pickup foam. I have some, PM me and I can send them to ya.

5. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans

It's for sale! Pm me if you want!

6. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thanks so much guys. Will weather stripping (what I use for a mute) work as foam as well?

7. LOL really? I wasn't expecting that answer. Messaged. :)

bskts247 likes this.
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    The poly foam that wraps hot water pipes at the heater is far better as it is firmer yet compliant and will last almost forever

bskts247 and hondo4life like this.