1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P bass Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapstick13, Oct 16, 2013.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Just got this 62 America reissue P bass. It plays great, no complaints other than this decal looking funny. What do you guys think? It blatantly looks like a decal as you can clearly see the edges, not sure if this is normal or not.

2. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    forgot to add pics.

Attached Files:

3. You have a 62 reissue. Completely normal, it's all good.

4. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Well...you're right. It looks like a decal on top of the clearcoat. What that means, exactly, I cannot say. What was the history of this bass when you acquired it? New? Used? If used, what did the seller have to say about the history of this instrument? Had the bass been repaired? Did the seller say that it had been refinished? Was he the first, second or unknown owner of the Precision? Any background information is useful when determining whether an instrument is what it is supposed to be.

5. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    rockinrayduke-

I have never owned a '62 Reissue Precision. Is it routine for Fender to float a decal on top of the clearcoat? Is this a faithful reproduction of old (1962) methods, where they may have put a waterslide decal on top of the nitrocellulose lacquer? It is my understanding that lacquer would cause an old-fashioned decal to peel up at the edges.

I can then see why it was done THEN, by why on earth would they do it NOW? Now that we have finish coats (and sturdier materials for decals) that can co-exist, why would they put an decal on top of the clear coat for "reproduction" reasons, knowing that routine cleaning and polishing may very well shorten its life?

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    On the 62 reissues, they laqcuered over the decals, but didn't bury them (edges not visible). Early on (50s and early 60s), Fender just put the decal on without any clearcoat on top of it. They also weren't waterslide decals. It looks like your bass had the decal replaced, or maybe the neck refinished.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The decals look that way because they are, in fact, trying to reproduce the look of 1960s decals.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    But that was one thing they overlooked. All of the reissues have a clearcoat over the decal. The edges are usually very rounded as well. No sharp 90 degree cuts like on this decal (around the word "bass").

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bah...it's a Fender. But if you really are worried about it, pull the neck and take pics of the pocket, the underside of the neck, and date stamp, and folks can tell you for sure at that point.

10. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    The decal looks right to me, looks like my AV62 P bass.