1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P-Bass reissue identity issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I bought this "50s P-Bass" new from Mars Music,remember them, on 12-19-97. I've never done anthing to it except play it and restring it until yesterday. It was due a good cleaning etc. The Made In Japan and Serial Number sticker are clearly readible at the end of the neck. Serial # is S021012. That's what I've known about all these years. So yesterday, I take the neck off. The neck stamp is PB-57DGF, the body stamp is PB-62D. Well, I'm not sure what to make of this, so it's time to defer to the Fender gerus as to the meaning of the different stamps on an instrument that's never been apart since purchased new. BTW, it's the unusual photoflame with greyish hue. In my many years here, I've never been able to post pics. so please don't scold me. If necessary, I can post them on another site and link you to them as I've done before. Thanks for the help. :cool:

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Pics would probably help.

I heard somewhere that all reissue bodies from Japan were the same from this era (i.e. they all used a body labeled with a 62), and the neck in maple is a "57", and if it was rosewood fingerboard the neck stamp would read "62". Identifying marks for the people that slapped them together in the factory.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks - give this a shot - http://oren-hudson.u.yuku.com/gallery then go down and click Mosrite. The first 6 pics are of my '72 Mosrite followed by 5 of the P-Bass. For some reason, the slideshow and enlarge is malfunctioning for the P-Bass shots, but you can still see them well enough. :cool:

PS - I've just discovered that if you click on "comments" under the individual pics, you get the enlarged shot.

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A new one on me. Maybe made for Mars Music? Like all the different FSR basses for Guitar Center

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Most every MIJ/CIJ Fender I've disassembled have had similar stamps. PB for precision and JB for Jazz. The 80's-90's basses seem to be followed by a 3 digit number that must indicate the specific model or trim(finish and hardware). I've wondered if the number sequence could also indicate the nut width and neck profile...but who knows. MIJ Squiers from this era also have these stamps interestingly enough. The later models tend to have additional letters stamped on them...my Geddy Lee pocket was stamped JB-GL with a 75 stamped above it, the neck was only stamped JB-GL.

I don't specifically know what your stamps indicate but I don't think it's anything to worry about.