Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P-Bass, Skunk Stripe..or not..Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Dec 30, 2001.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys need some advice,

I am lookin to buy a late model American Fender P-bass. I want to spend no more than 500.00. My research indicates that won't be a problem if I stay between 1980's to the present. Here's my questions..

A) What are years to avoid, i.e. what years during that time did fender suck/excell?

B) As far as necks, which is better, a skunk stripe where the neck has been split in two and for the truss rod and glued back together, or dug out and had a cap, (a top section...where the frets are attached), put on top. I hope you know what I'm talking about, it's hard to explain.

I recently looked at a very sweet maple necked 97, very sweet! Need some advice!!!

Klark Kent

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The American std and American series p basses on the whole are very good quality, much better than the late 70s/early 80s basses. However with Fenders (or most mass produced basses) there is a great variety in tone from bass to bass due to different woods, who put it together, etc.
    So try before you buy, but if you checked it out and it sounds good, go for it. 97 would make it an Am Std series.

Re: skunk stripe or no- I really don't think it makes any difference. If you are firm on no stripe you'll have to look for one b/w 70-75, if I'm not mistaken.

3. I`ve got a `98 standard (no stripe) and she plays and feels like a dream.I`m seriously thinking of throwing a blonde wig on the headstock and calling it "love". :p :eek:

I guess I got lucky as I bought her sight unseen.