Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass SN help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by giantjerk, Mar 2, 2004.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Awhile ago I purchased a Fender Precision bass from a pawn shop. The neck was in very good condition and bears an "E" serial number. Best of all the price was right.

The body, pickup and pickguard had been painted black with a brush. Needless to say it was very poor paintjob. Neither the pickup nor the pickguard were original. Everything else appeared to be original.

I replaced the pickup and the pickguard and played it for over a year. This bass plays great and there is just something about it that I noticed from the first day I saw it.

I finally got sick of the black paint and decided to have the body refinished. I have been checking on the progress of the refin. There were several heavy layers of the black paint, on the surface of the body the original finish had been removed before the black paint was applied. In the neck pocket, control cavity and the pickup route there exists traces of a metallic blue color that is remiscent of, for lack of a better comparison, the Steve Harris blue color. This color is fantastic and I am thinking of having it repainted this color.

The neck pocket also bears the following SN "P B 557" I have not been able to locate any info as to the possible date of the body.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The "E" on your neck's SN most likely stands for the decade of the 1980's (if it is a US Fender neck).

I'm not sure, but I don't think the body is original going by the SN you posted, but I could be wrong. I'm no expert ;) .

You may be able to find more help here:

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/faq.html

3. bassman_neil

bassman_neil

Jun 14, 2005
    London NW2
    Actually this is how I found this site. I've got one of these PB - 557 bodies. Got it with a '62 refinished neck. Wondered what it was too. Not much help except that it's not that rare unless there's only 2 of them ever made.

4. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Neil:

Thanks for the reply. My PB 557 body came with what appears to be a Made in Japan Precision neck. The serial number is still visible but a previous owner scratched off the "made in Japan" below the serial number.

I have pretty much convinced myself that this is an aftermarket body.

What color is yours?