1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P bass special deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bogster, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Anyone own one or have anything particularly good, bad, or otherwise to say about them? Afraid I've never been a huge Fender guy, but there are a couple of (what appear to be) reasonable deals on them locally and I know next to nothing about them other than they are p & J configuration for pups, a jazz neck and a p bass body, they are MIM, and that they are active.

I tried using the search to narrow down something but "special" and "deluxe" seem to be some popular terms around here. :D

Thanks in advance,

-B

2. I have an older version, from early 2000's, which is passive. So I won't comment about the active electronics on the newer ones. Other than that, mine is as easy blaying a bass as I've found. If I had a 4-set night, my Fender PJ Deluxe would get the nod, no doubt about it.

3. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks, man! :)

Anyone else?

4. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I have a passive model also. probably from 1998. It's so nice that I DON'T like to take it out on gigs.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I have an '06, and it's a very good bass:

IMAG0447.

6. WilsonCat

WilsonCat

Jan 23, 2006
    Medford, NY
    I've got two (one is on ebay now). It's my go-to bass and I love every thing about it. I've owned guitars that cost 3x what this one did and only play and sound half as good.

IMG_0476-1.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I once owned the 5 string version, and sold it during my EBMM buying spree. I wish I still had that bass. Great tone, and lots of tones. The neck width was a little wide for me, but that WAS a 5er.

8. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I own a 2011, its a sweet bass. Its not perfect tho but what bass is? The preamp sounds good for the price but it isnt the best sounding preamp youll hear. just depends on what you are looking for in terms of tone.

They play great and have nice necks tho. I would invest in a better bridge though. I put a gotoh on mine and it made a world of difference. good luck