Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P-bass Special Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thought I'd share a couple of pics I took last night of my Precision Special. Mine is of course the 80's PRecisions Special (don't you hate how Fender re-use a model name for something completely different....). Anyway, it's an '82 making it 21 this year, coincidentally I got it for my 21st b/day present.

It's actually Aqua (I believe) although the piccies make it look kinda Lake Placid Blue (I've seen one in LPB and it's way lighter than mine)

Anyway ,enjoy!

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Here's another. Hmm, maybe I should've cleaned off some of my fingerprints.......

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    OOOhhh Johnny, Me likes very much. I have a walnut p special. How do you like the sound? do you play it passive or active? Do you use alot of boost if you go active?

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Oh the Walnut ones are nice - I've seen a couple on US ebay!

I tend to play it active, with a bit of bass boost. It's fine in passive mode - just a regular P-bass, but when you flick the switch you can get a nice bit of ooomph out of it! I probably as a norm use a max of about half the bass boost available (halfway between the detent and max), sometimes depending on the situation and the way it's sounding I add a little treble boost to stop it becoming muddy!

There was an auction last year for a P-bass Special scrathplate with all electrics over here that I missed out on....just! I had plans to get another P-bass (possibly an MIJ) and add the scratchplate to it.......oh well some other time maybe!

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Hey boom boom, sah....weeet bass. here is mine,
    It is a S78, but I got it in june 1977 for high school grad. it is just a precision bass,but it has the gold hdwe & active circut of the specials
    wich came out a few years later.My mom bought it, cause she liked the gold, go figure ! [​IMG]

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Nice bass...and a nice grad present! I would have given up on it though as I suck at playing fretless!

Main difference seemes to be lask of matching headstock....and frets!

Hmm, that must sound real nice with the fretless actually - I mean I love the sound of the active circuit with frets, must be quite interesting without!

7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I play alot of fretless, but when I got the 78 bass I played rock & metal on it. I did not get a fretted bass 1983, well actually oct 1982. I liked the gold hdwe so much I found a Jazz with it.no active circut, but It had great tone. [​IMG]

8. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    BoomBoom

I just love gold hardware on a fender. Block inlays would make it the perfect bass IMO. (In the Looks Dept.) Nice bass!

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Gotta agree with the Gold Hardware....not sure about block inlays though - but there say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Hmmm, then again, it probably would look quite nice with block inlays......

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have a thing for those fenders. my favourite is the elite II but your basses look great too!!

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I wish i had more of the Fender's with the gold hdwe, I saw a aniversary bass in a store, and
    it was made within the last few years, and the gold was much thinner on the parts,and the bridge was just a std bridge colored gold.I like the heavy coating of the old ones and that heavy bridge. I alway's wondered why my P-Bass did
    not have the thumb rest ? who knows.:)

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Thanks Marco....I must admit, if I got a chance for an Elite II I would go for it! I think there is one on US ebay just now - a sunburst! Sadly, I'm busy sorting out my amp and cabinets......

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Now that is unusual! I like the display/protective case it's in! It really is a looker!:)

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Johnny, I have noticed my pbass special will make clip lights on a lot of amps stay on all night! I play my alot in passive mode because of that (although I don't have that problem with my GK) Do you have that problem?
    Here's my pbass special:bassist:

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Here's my '82 Precision Special. Originally vintage white, it has faded to a serious tobacco stain. My uncle passed it down to me. The 'thump sound' is unbelievable with the active circut, and the contours are shaped just like a pre-CBS which is so comfortable to play.

[​IMG]

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hmmm, I haven't clipped my amp - I use Trace Elliot which tells you how you're doing! But it is a lot hotter than a lot of basses!;)

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That's lovely.....but wait, you have a gold ashtray...:eek: Where did you get teh bridge cover...I want one! That is lovely, and the white has aged beautifully! And yeah, my curves, fit the basses curves...or is it the other way about!;)

18. montrocity

montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    P basses rock! It's not a very good pic but here's mine.

[​IMG]

19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Johnny,
    I found the gold bridge cover here in T.B. a couple of months ago. A member here in the States had it in the classifieds, and I emailed him the instant I saw it.
    I'm still also looking for a gold pickup cover to complete the bass. I think fenders look very naked without their appropriate covers on them, but gold is next to impossible to find, as you know.

I really like the blue color of yours!

20. I want it!