Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P-Bass Special vs. Warwick Streamer Std

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Fender P-Bass Special

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Warwick Streamer Standard

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Just about to change my bass. I hesitate between Fender P-Bass Special (Mexican) and Warwick Streamer Standard. Both are approx. same price. I need 4-string, 2 P.U.'s, and a comfortable neck. Both have all this. Both are covered by a 5-year warranty.

On other criteria, which one do you think I should go with ? And why ?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

2. I voted for the Warwick. They are built better, sound better (IMO), and you have a smaller chance of getting a lemon (if ordering online). Plus i dont like Fender and i have a Streamer STD.

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Seapickle,

However I won't order it online, but will play one in a dealer's outlet and purchase it if it really pleases me.

The purpose of my poll is mainly to know if I'd better turn towards Warwick or Fender. Many people tell me Warwick, but I have been very disappointed with a $ 1500 bass, so now I take much more care before purchase.

Thanks again,

All the best,

4. Go for the warwick..

Warwick's have a thick neck, which feels better than any neck i've felt before. The warwich adds a little more weight than most basses, but it also shows off in the sound.Even tho it is a passive bass, the sound is fuller and punchier than a lot of active basses. Constructionwise warwick is very good.

Just by looking at the pictures, you can judge a lot.. the warwick has a way thicker and heavier bridge, which adds a lot of value to the sound; it improves lows and enhances the sustain.

warwick's have adjustable nut.. another big plus

it also depends on the type of music you're going to play with it ofcourse ;)

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks AllodoX,

The type of music I play is a bit hard to define. The permanent element in my way of playing is lyricism (that does not exclude slap, tapping, funky grooves and so on).

But all the music beside my bass parts may vary much, from "nothing" (just the bass) to thrash metal, and all the intermediate styles your imagination can hit.

This is why I need a very versatile bass, also given than I play either with fingers, either with a pick, depending on the part I play and the ambience I wish to give.

Both Fender and Warwick seem very versatile to me. I tend to prefer low and mid frequencies than the very high ones.

Thanks again,

All the best,

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's hard for me to imagine any gig or situation that a Fender couldn't cover well. It is the sound everyone is familiar with and knows how to work with. If you walk into a studio and they have a bass there, it will be a Fender. I have been asked (when playing on other's projects) "bring the Fender". I have never been asked to bring a Warwick or any other brand.
    As far as getting a "lemon" Fender, that is, for the most part, urban legend, and most often heard from self-professed Fender haters. I have been playing bass for more than 30 years and own or have owned several Fenders, and played many more, and I have yet to see even one of these "lemons".

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Personally, I'd get the Fender in a hardbeat. I think those Streamer Std's sound and feel like cardboard...just imo. If you want a Warwick, spend a couple extra bucks and get a new or used Warwick Corvette. It's a much, much better bass, especially for the money. If you were to choose between the Fender and the Corvette, I'd get the Corvette in a heartbeat!

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Angus : thanks for your comment.

I know the Corvette is a bit more expensive than the Streamer, but I can afford that difference of price. No problem for that. Should the purchase of an American Precision Bass be clearly justified for my needs (maybe it is, I don't know), I could purchase it. Nevertheless, I really don't believe that twice the price gives twice the quality. But I may be wrong...

What most interests me is to know what concrete differences make the Corvette far better than the Streamer ? Is it a matter of bubinga ? Pickups ? Neck shape ? etc.

Thanks again,

All the best,

9. I've had the opportunity to try a 5-string Streamer Std. and a P-bass Special...I would go with the Streamer.

Ignoring who the manufacturer is, I found that the Streamer has a smaller, "faster" neck, has a nicer body / finish, and sounds better.

I juxtaposed the P-bass Special with an American Precision and the P-bass sounded REALLY dull. The pickups were pretty awful.

Also, I think someone wrote (here or at Fender Forum) that the P-bass Specials had a design flaw - the anodized pickguard acted as the ground so if you replaced it with a plastic pickguard, it would hum like crazy. (I'm no techie...try some searches...it's somewhere).

Costwise: In Vancouver, BC, that 5-string Streamer Standard costs $900 and the P-bass Special costs $600.

Good luck.

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I DO plan to go to the shop. I shall not purchase any bass online or by mail order any more, and I'm sure you guess the main reason why :)

However, getting experience from users is never a bad thing, and that's the purpose of my poll and thread.

But should I be unsatisfied while trying any $800-1000 bass, I won't hesitate to go further to something more expensive that should fit my needs.

I know which tones I want to hear, I know which neck touch I want to feel... No matter the price (in a certain limit though), I'll purchase what most fits my requirements.

All the best,

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The quality is FAR more consistent (I honestly don't remember where the Streamer Std is made, but the Corvette is for sure German). The fretwork has always been much better on the corvette's I've seen, and the finishes were much more consistent. The woods, though, is the main difference. The bubinga body on the Corvette sounds like wood...the carolena body on the Std sounds like styrofoam. I hate the feel of the body as well, it just feels fake. The Corvette sounds like a real Warwick to my ears, whereas the Std doesn't have much of the Warwick character in it's sound. The Std is very thin and bland, whereas the Corvette has more of the characteristic high mid growl and chunky thump that's more associated with Warwick. Not to mention the bridge and pickups are much higher quality on the Corvette (even if the pickups are still MEC :rolleyes: ). The Corvettes, though, are just far more consistent, and a much better bass for not much more price. Just IME, though, so if you can find one and try it, do it. You get what you pay for.

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Angus : I know it's kinda stupid, but there's ONE superficial thing that prevents me from purchasing, for example, a superior Streamer model (LX or Jazzman) : I _HATE_ gold hardware. I only like it chrome or black. That's why, as I like the shape of the Streamer, I was heading for a Standard.

Regarding to what you said, I'll try both Streamer and Corvette, and even maybe an active Corvette. Anyway, I'll try all I can try and can be of interest to me.

Thanks again,

All the best,

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

I think angus got a point there, the Streamer Std is not that great and for the same price you could get a used Warwick thats muc more kick ass than the Std.

another thing, I own a Streamer LX5 and I love it very much.
    if you order from a dealer you could ask for chrome or black hardware or you can buy a used one and buy replacement hardware from Dana B. Goods (if you are in the US).
    anyway, I seen used LX4s go for as low as 600 bucks on EBay.
    I urge you to go out and try the Corvettes, Fortresses and Streamers (any model but the standard) to see for yourself how much better they are than the Std. model (if they are better than the P Special is more a matter of taste as they are completely different basses).

14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks to all of you guys for your feedback.

My current state of mind is that of desperation, because of the _very_ disappointing problem I recently occured. And the more I feel the need to get rid of that ***CENSORED*** bass, the more I wonder what will be the next one.

I also guess that my $ 0.02 theory about "cheaper basses as good as expensive ones" has something to do with this desperation and, mostly, with this disappointment. When you reach the point of such a disappointment with an expensive instrument, will you have the desire to purchase a new one as expensive ? Not sure...

However, what is now clear to me is that the best thing I have to do is take my car and drive to a few shops, and try all basses that will stand there.

I launched this stupid poll though, finally, when time has come for me to purchase my new bass, this will perhaps be a very different one than both of these. I'll keep you informed anyway, and post pictures here... But first I have to sell my ***CENSORED*** bass.

Thanks again to all,

All the best,

15. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You said you need something versatile...

What about a Stingray?

16. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    You're right. There's a MINT used Sting Ray for sale at my dealer's. About $ 800.00 : ridiculous price. Fine finish : blueburst and maple neck.

I was not going to buy a used bass, but finally this may be a solution.

I owned a Sting Ray long ago, I admit it is a good and versatile instrument.

Thanks for your suggestion,

All the best,