Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P-bass Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Excelite, May 29, 2005.

1. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    I don't know if anyone else has posted about this bass but I searched and didn't find a thread about it recently so sorry if it is a repeat...

I am considering buying a Fender P-bass Special (http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-FEN013570). I like this bass because of the fact that it has the p-bass body which I like, but the Jazz neck which I also like. Also the fact that it has two different kinds of pickups. My drummer (who used to play bass) has a Fender Jazz and I love the sound but I'm not too fond of the body and the way he has it set up, and I want my own new bass. Does anyone own/know somebody that owns this bass that can tell me what they think of it, and is it worth $530? Thanks.

2. BassPort.de

BassPort.de

May 29, 2005
    Hi,

I own a genuine Fender P-bass special. They have been - as far as I know - manufactured in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Mine is 1989.

Nowadays models are sometimes a bit poor in quality. Maybe you take some time to look around at the usual auction sites and get one of the 'old' and original models. They usually sell at about 600 US$. Their biggest plus are the 'lace-sensor' pickups that add a very nice punch to the bass. The new models only come with standard PUs that sound a bit too weak.

Generally the P-Bass special is a bass for Jazzbass-Players that need or want to add a bit more P-Bass to their sound. It is light-weight and easy too play because of the Jazz-sized neck. It is a very good allround instrument and if you can find one of the 90s models it will surely keep its value.

Cheers

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Didn't actually buy anything but I am still thinking I might like to go this route. Did check out some ebay listings.
    Very inexpensive, but partially because the older ones are passive, not active.
    Good luck.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180637

4. BassPort.de

BassPort.de

May 29, 2005
    ...I do not think that the genuine 90s models really require an active circuit. The 'lace sensor' electronic (with a small activation push buttom between the pontentiometers) and pickups have pretty much power.

You should be aware of the factor that the P-bass special - in my opinion - is more a Jazz- rather than a Precision type of bass. So the basic sound is not as fat and growling as a Preci. It is a comprise. Well sounding yet, but still a compromise.

I think that if you are looking for a J-Bass with some nice extra features and sounds it is a perfect instrument. If you are looking for an upgraded P-Bass you will most probably not like it. In this case you should go for a solid - maybe 1970s, ...I would prefer the rosewood necks - P-bass you like and ask a luthier to add a bridge J-Bass pickup.

5. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    it's a great bass....but so are the jazz and the p-bass....you really can't go wrong with any of them...there are just subtle differences between them....you should be able the get the jazz and the p-bass sounds out of the p-bass special....is that the same thing as the hot-rodded p-bass....maybe that's the one i'm thinking of...oh...i just looked at the picture...i think that one is mexican made...i wouldn't get it...get the american made...it cost more but sounds a lot better

6. I own a P-Bass which I hot-rodded with a added jazz pup and used Lace Sensor pickups for both (p+j config) And I own a custom "Spiglet" bass, with the same pick-up config.

Recently, I picked-up a Fender Active P-Bass Special, and I love this guitar. again P+J pups. The feel, sound, tone, playability, comfort, everything. And to top it off, it is MIM. But they used US parts, go figure. If you are into active elec. try this one, if passive is your game, go and buy your bass, you will love it. I can't say enough about the P+J possibilties.

7. I am looking at a p bass special... only thing is it has a butt ugly pickgurard... will a standard p bass pickguard fit it?

8. BassPort.de

BassPort.de

May 29, 2005
    ...just to be sure we are talking about the saame instrument. I have added some pictures of a P-Bass Special, made in 1989/1990.

Mind the much heavier hardware (bridge, ferules and machines) compared to a standard Preci and the 'lace sensor' pickups and electronics (...I know it is quite hard to see because the logos have faided over the years)

These parts really make a big difference! Overall the instrument is manufactured in an awesome quality. Selected woods and superbe craftmanship even in little details. It truly is a 'special series' Fender bass made in the USA.

Attached Files:

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

following the link in the original post - its a new mexican one... passive bass

I used to own one, traded it for a vintage 75 ash/maple jazz coz i was into that thing at the time and i regret it... i would have had both if i could afford it!!!

I had a maple board one which was naturally a bit crisper and defined.

The neck on these is awesome. Really nice and thin, flatter radius than my japanese '62 reissue jazz. Mine set up really really low. i was really lucky that i got one with a neck that was really responsive to adjustment. i have played one in a shop since i sold mine that wasn't so good. Mexican quality control...

The pickups sound good in my opinion. nice p tone, nice jaco tone. The blended tone is good, but i prefer 2 j pickups. the pickups are u.s.a ones of some description.

I did find that the j pickup did hum a bit and if wont cancel completely when blended with the p. The p pu was silent though.

The hardware was good. i replaced the vintage bridge for a badass but thats not really crucial.

so i reckon they are great for the money! but if you can play it thats better, just to check the mexican quality...

btw, get a 2 tone burst with maple board for the ultimate '57 p vibe with the gold aluminium guard....

10. I played one, and personally I wasnt impressed. It doesnt seem to be able to nail the standard Pbass sound, and especially doesnt sound like a Jazz.

I think you'd be better off buying a MIM P or J, and modding it. Or maybe a Geddy Lee jazz