1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender p bass string loading question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gt96g, Aug 19, 2012.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I picked up an 09 fender p bass, I checked and according to various sources I should be able to load the strings at the bridge and not have to used the through body anchor points. However I am unable to use the bridge anchor points because when ever I remove the strings from the bass, the through body anchor shafts come loose and fall out, basically they are just being held in place by the strings. Has anyone else had this issue on an 08 p bass or newer? Is this common with these? Do I need to get to my guitar tech and have them glued in place?

any help appreciated.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Don't pay anyone to put a drop of glue on the ferrules, do it yourself.

John

3. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    I'll bet a new set of DR's that a double-blind test will reveal there is absolutely zero discernable tonal difference between top-loading and through-loading the strings.

If anyone would like to "do the deed" and post some clips and a poll, I'll donate the strings :cool:

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    No tech needed, it's a very easy fix. I have an '08 Am. Std. Jazz that had loose ferrules as well. I just put some wood glue around the ferrules, then gently tapped them back into position. Be sure to have a rag ready to wipe off any excess glue that squeezes out of the holes so it doesn't stay on the finish. I've been top-loading that bass since '08 and the ferrules have never come loose again.