1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P Bass (string through body) scale lenght?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by torza, Jul 20, 2012.

1. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    Hey all. What is the scale length of the Fender string through body P basses? I am trying to measure in order to find out which type of D'addario EXL165 strings to get ("long" or "super long"). Thanks!

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Long will work fine.

3. 34"

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Scale length is 34". BUT regular D'Addario long-scale strings don't fit STB basses. The scale is the nominal distance from nut to bridge. That doesn't account for the length required to go through the body.

So, order the EXL-165 extra-long scale ones.

Most other companies' regular long-scale will also fit.

John

5. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    +1

I would love to use EXL-165 Longs on my both my 2009 MIA Jazz and 2011 MIA Precision, but they do not make it past the nut when strung through the body

I remain with Ernie Ball Slinky's because of this on my Fenders as there is no issue with them (and I can get cheap 2-packs of those unlike the EXL Extra-Longs)

Cheers!

6. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    thanks for the tip guys! just ordered. LOVE these strings :)

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'm pretty sure I've used EXL160s strung thru the body with my '08 American Standard Jazz, without any issues...

- georgestrings

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    My personal experience show that regular D'Addario long-scale strings do NOT fit strung through body on:
    Music Man StingRay (pre EB)
    Lakland 4-94
    Fender Sting
    Fender Telecaster

John

9. I tries to put chrome flats on my Sting bass and they fit; however, the black silk hung over the nut and fingerboard which I found annoying.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    With Chromes, I use the Super Longs if going through the body, and the "regular" longs if top-loading.