Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass VS Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carousel34, Apr 22, 2003.

1. carousel34

carousel34

Apr 22, 2003
    sidney
    hey. i just got a question about these 2 basses. im looking to buy 1 of those ones, or the Mark Hoppus Custom Bass but i don't know much about them all. I love the Hoppus, and would buy it if i had the money. Is there much difference between the P and Jazz basses in feel, sound, of anything else. Let me know if u can. Thanx

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would suggest that you do a search on this topic, as there is an extensive amount of info available.

3. jazz bass = body is a little heavyer, nexk is thinner for faster movement. Pickups are different. YOu have 2 pickup controls. Its more thick and "hey baby, lets make love" but at the same time can be "CUT MY LIFE INTO PEICES, THIS IS MY LAST RESORT) (last resort is such abad song LOL)

P bass - more tight and springy. More of a punkish tone. lighter body, wider neck.

i reccomend trying both. Personally, i like the jazz more, but thats just an opinon. Saying one is absolutly 100% better then the other is bull. Both basses are rightfully awesome in there own ways.

4. Not again...

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    v

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the search nazis are biting at the hook again!

......but yeah, its not a bad idea to try them out and see what you think. sound is better expressed through the instrument itself rather than with words. You probably shouldn't buy without knowing exactly what you want and what you're getting.

6. carousel34

carousel34

Apr 22, 2003
    sidney
    how is the difference in p andjazz bass necks. i know p bass is wider and thicker, but does that make a big difference?

7. uhh...depends on who you are talking to. I always played an austin P bass thing. it was a fender replica, just costed less. and i went to my bass instructor, and he had a hnew jazz bass. I picked it up, played one little scale, and came back that night with a check. I liked the slimmer neck a ton better. but its all good. jaco put a P bass neck on a bass just to get wider spaceing so he could get better or something....but im not at the stage where thats a big deal...mabye like 50 years from now ill consider it ^_^. I dont think the neck would make me pay an extra 100$ or anything..but i do wub it ^_^.

- w00t

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    :confused: I just recomended that he do search. I don't see how that was called for.

9. i shink he was just kidding around.

- w00t

10. The difference between the two basses has nothing at all to do with the size of the neck or the weight. Theres Jazz and P basses with A, B, C size necks. A is the thinest. The weight of the Basses is not determined by model either. There are many many Jazz basses that are heavy and back breakers as well there are many P basses that will kill you too. So find a light one if your touring and you might want a heavy one for the studio or garage. The general thinking that the Jazz bass is the pretty girl that you want to make love with and the P bass is the ugly one but hey its 3am and she looks good is without any real knowledge of what these ladys might have to offer. If you are going to chose between one of these basses then how they will make you sound is all that matters to an engineer or soundman or your fans. And how they sound in the studio may not be how they sound live. The Jazz bass can not do ANYTHING that the P bass can do. And the P can't be a Jazz Bass. James Jamerson used the P bass to its fullest potential. Listening to him may inspire its use. But Listening to Roger Waters might inspire its use as well but a few cabinets of speakers and 400 watts might be needed. I have found that the Jazz bass with both pickups on reduce the noise that some places cause. Lighting and many other things in a live setting or a studio effected the sound. When these basses were used by the great players of old the pickup technology was nothing like todays. If you listen to Jaco or John Paul Jones and want that sound you MUST use a Jazz. Now do your P basses and Jazz basses have to say Fender on them to get that sound. Of course not. I traveled in 1981 and played Bluegrass and Gospel with a Fender Jazz bass and it was great most of the time and I used 10 inch speakers. Well when they blew and I found a deal on 15's the P bass was way better live. I now use a very nice Guild Pilot with EMG's with both a P and J pickup and its perfect. Also a Peavey Foundation I have is by far the Best JAZZ bass Ive used. The neck is a killer and the tone is awsome the pickups are silent and passive. Perfect and i got it for $138. SO its not nostalgia its not a vibe its carefull thought and trial. With Guild Pilots to be had for $300 and Peavey Foundations to be had at $120, FENDER on the headstock is not a must. Theres so many good Fenders that are.. and are not Fenders.. First find your sound and know were your going to be playing. How fat the neck is will go away as you get stronger. The fatter the better untill you know you need skinny to fly around the board. Duck Dunn has what I consider the Perfect bass. A light weight P bass body with a Jazz bass neck B size I think and he added a Jazz bass Pickup to it. Kind of like millions of hybrid Jazz / P basses out there. Just try as many as you can. Have fun

11. yes, i think it's high time we tackled this issue...

12. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i only will say one thing :DO NOT CONSIDER THE MARK HOPPUS BASS ! there are way better fender basses to look into,its a poorly made and sounding bass,my opinion is bassed on experience in playing bassically every style,make,model,and country of origin made by fender,search this site there are countless info on all of fenders basses!:bassist:

13. Some people on the boards have actually liked the bass. The Quarter Pounder pup in the bass sounds pretty good. That said, I never liked it cause the colors were just too damn ugly and I like having a tone knob. Also, that pickguard is pretty hideous, too.

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

Here is what I do not get. If someone wants to post a subject without doing a search prior to posting, what is the big deal? If people want to respond to their thread, let them. If you "dont have time" to ansewer their question or are infuriated beacuse, heaven forbid, they did not do a search before they posted a subject then dont respond to their thread.

I like this forum. The people who post here are polite, intelligent, on-topic, and are willing to help you out. One thing I do not like is the "rudeness" when someone starts a thread like this with out doing the "proper" search before hand. If you have time to post a reply stating "use the search button", then at least try and help the guy out and THEN tell him about the search feature. Or, if that is too involved, then post nothing at all.

And besides, what's it to you if someone wants to post with out searching first. Some people here, including myself, love to talk about or give advice on gear that they own or have previously owned. If everybody did the "proper" search before hand, TB would be a database, not a forum. It is like what your mom told you when you were 5, if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.

Lets try and be polite and help each other out here and not. Some of us who post here may or may not be familiar with the rules or features. Keep that in mind.

15. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    That's an excellent point g4string. I understand where the "search nazis" are coming from, but for the first few weeks I used this forum I didn't even know there was a search feature.:rolleyes: I appreciate that people told me to search, but there should be no yelling!:) People should definitely take it easy. If a website gets you upset, you need to rethink your priorities in life.

16. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Carousel - Don't sweat the "search it" guys. Some of them forget that "forum" means place of discussion. Not much discussion in "do a search"!!!
    Anyway - back to your question. The P and J are as different as an apple and an orange. Both fruit but...Bassnbass gives you some good stuff.

In the end ( over time) you will probably own both because they are are so different. But for now I'll just give you my opinion. I love 'em both but if I had to live with one only it would be the Jazz. It is, IMO,the more flexible of the two. Yes, you can use a P for many applications (and I have) but the J has a broader scope of tones largely because of the pickup configuration. As for neck, playability etc. that is personal choice for you. You either like it or you don't. I started out liking the thin Jazz neck better and then gravitated to liking the thicker Precision neck. Go figure.

17. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Great point. You could'nt have said it any better.

18. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Another great point!

19. he didn't even have to do a search. there's a thread at the top of this forum's page that says NEWBIE LINKS, just like that in capital letters. in it, you can find information about P vs. J and many many other oft-discussed topics here. you are doing YOURSELF a favor by reading it. so read it.

20. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Smash,

You misunderstood me. I said that I do not like the rudeness, not that it was rude.