1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P Bass Vs. Squier Vintage Telecaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dubstylee, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Hey everyone! I already have a 2006 Fender Highway One Precision Bass(pre-upgrade) and was wondering if I should drop the loot on a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass. Can anyone tell me if the tone is that much different between the two? Can I achieve the tone of the Tele Bass with my Precision? Is a Precision more versatile? I just want some feedback before I make a purchase. I really like the look of this bass, but if I already can do what it does with my Precision, I'll probably not buy it. Thanks for everyone's info on the subject. I would be using this bass for Blues, Reggae, & Rock.

2. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    In the limited amount of time I spent with a Squier Telebass, my impression was that the pickup was pretty hot output-wise, but was very deep and low without much definition in the mids and highs as compared to the standard p-bass tone.

If you're looking for a reggae bass, it's a great match. Blues, somewhat, but I'd personally not choose it for a rock setting.

3. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    See, that's the thing. I like the fact that my precision bass can do lows, and low mids so well. I feel like I can use it for many different styles. I'm a big fan of low end with any bass that I use, but if the Tele is limited, I don't know if that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.:)

4. I love my Telebass, I even use it in a black metal setting occasionally with some high end boosted on the amp

5. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I just picked one of these up this weekend. Keep in mind it's only a $300 guitar.

My main bass is an american standard p-bass. I traded in some of my old beaters and got the TB for a backup, and different tone. I run straight into my head with no compressors/fx, so my tone is largely dependent on my bass. I pretty much set my head and forget about it.

The tone is very different between the two (by design), but I think that is the idea with the mudbucker style neck pickup. I'm sure you could get close with a p-bass, if you play it up near the neck position and cut down the tone control.

I can give you a whole review of the TB if you want. Just PM me.

6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    The P is definitely more versatile, as it is used in more styles. But in the end, you must go with what you feel you need for a sounds - the TB will definitely push much lower lows regardless of how you EQ than the P, all EQ settings being equal, just by virtue of where the pickup is. They called it a mudbucker back in the day. Great bass, and suitable for many styles IMHO, but in the opinion of many, the P would be more versatile.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    P FTW. The TB sounds like muddy smelly poop (whatever poo sounds like). If you get a TB, promptly put a darkstar in it.

8. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I've got an original '75 Tele bass that was routed for a second PUP near the bridge by a previous owner. (A lot of players did this to these basses to give them more versatility). Dialing in some J PUP with the mudbucker gives me a tone that other basses can't touch: HUGE fat deep tone with just enough top end clarity to cut through.

IMO, the mudbucker Tele bass is very limited and not nearly as versatile as a standard P unless you do a mod like this with a second PUP (or add a piezo bridge). Since the Squire's cheap, you can afford to mod it.