1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P-bass w/ S-1 electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paradog, Dec 31, 2011.

1. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    is this a special electronics package or is this standard on all fenders? When was this introduced? :help:

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    It was standard on the American P and J basses for a few years around early to mid 2000's. I can't remember the exact years though. I have one on my P-bass and I like it, but others hate the setup. YMMV.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's over with.

It ran on the "American" from approximately 2004-2008.

Fender likes control circuit comedy. Their latest joke is the Greasebucket, which at least has the virtue of being easy to remove on the models that have it.

The only really positive thing I have to say about the post-'08 American Standard changes is that they have normal, conventional passive controls of the sort the vast majority of players prefer.

4. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I should add that the reason that I like the S-1 switch on my P bass is vastly different than most. I also have a Stellartone tone control and a Redeemer buffer. With the S-1 engaged and the Stellartone at the right position I get a sound in the ballpark of a Ric.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm sure that you can find a way to make this stuff work for you in some application. I just prefer simplicity.

It just drives me crazy how FMIC will not leave well enough alone and constantly "fixes" stuff that isn't broken, while leaving long-standing problems like the V/V/T syndrome uncorrected (though this may in fact be an insuperable problem with passive controls...I dunno, I'm a BFA, not an EE).

6. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    VVT syndrome? You referring to passive tone roll-off when you roll one volume off, or what?

7. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I forget the TB'ers name, but he works at Alpha Music in Virginia. Anyways, he had a few thoughts on relatively simple changes to the VVT Jazz setup that seemed to really make sense.

8. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    It's just a series\parallel switch.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The controls simply not working right in different ways if the volume pots are in anything but full-on or full-off position.

Severity varies, but in worst case, they don't work at all.

I just got a tech PM from an upset buyer of a $2300 Fender Jazz model with a bad case of it asking me about it.

10. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Funny, that doesn't happen with any of my Rics at all but you would think it would have the same problems (or worse) than VVT considering it has an even more complex wiring scheme--actually way more complex. And I don't remember anything like that from owning a Jazz either (with an S1 ironically... it wasn't that bad, just a subtle tone change). I guess I've never run into it.

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never heard of this, and I've owned several Js. Considering they have been making Jazz basses for 50 years and it is one of the most used, and most recorded, basses in the history of the bass guitar it couldn't be too widespread.