Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass with Active Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Octane, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    A friend of a friend offered to sell me an American Made Fender P bass with Active pickups. I didnt get a chance to talk to the seller or even see the bass yet.

Here's my question
    Were American made Active P basses availiable with just the standard split pick up? I know now the Active P basses also feature the Humbucker in the bridge position

He is asking about $500 USD for the P bass.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes Fender made an Active P-bass with just the standard split pickup. They made these in 1980 - 1983, they were called the Precision Special, and generally they had the headstock matching the body colour!

The active was switchable and instead od a tone pot they have treble and bass pots! I know 'cos I've got one!

If it is one of these basses and it's in reeasonably good condition then 500 USD seems worth it!

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    From '83 to around '85 the Precision Elite I had one split pickup, and the Elite II had two split pickups. Both had active electronics.

4. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    I doubt it's THAT old so it's probably the newer ones with the humbucker.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    US active P-basses:

1980 Precision Special: one P pickup, 2 band EQ, solid finishes with matching headstock, gold hardware

1982-84 Precision Elite: one or two P pickups, fine tuner bridge, some models came with gold hardware

early 90s Precision Plus Deluxe: PJ Lace sensors, 22 fret neck, fine tuner bridge, Kubicki preamp with bypass

current Precision Deluxe: P pickup and humbucker, 3 band EQ, 22 fret neck

$500 for ANY of the above is a very good price.

6. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Thanks for the info guys

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine works great...

8. correct me if i am wrong but does one of those models listed above have a Jazz bass neck?

I though i read a thread about it here once.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think that the current model of P-bass Special has a Jazz neck.

My 1980's one is definitely a P-bass neck!

10. ok thanx..