1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P Bass with an humbucker bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KLEIN, Apr 21, 2009.

1. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    I have a fender P Bass that has been customized to fit a PJ EMG set up in it. I like the tone of both pickups, put I always have to turn the P pickup down or it will drown out the bridge pickup. Since the J pickup is a single coil, would a humbucker fix this problem? And if so, does anybody know of a good luthier to install it?

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Your EMG's should be well balanced, and the P pickup is the dominant pup.
    My PJ has EMG's and it seems to balence out well. Good Luck with your tone!

3. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Yes the P pickup is more powerful than the J pickup. So after reserching some options, I deciced to go with an EMG DC humbucker to replace the J pup. This should give me more low end when I switch to the bridge position. And also this pup wont have to compete for volume with the P. The only problem is the DC is not as long as the J pickup. After I took the measurements, I found that there will be an 1/8 inch gap between the body and the new pup. So Im going to make a cover to go around it.

4. Whatever P J combination you use, the P will be dominant - I have an EMG PJ and a Dimarzio PJ setup on my two basses and I have the P pickups lowered in comparison to the Js so the two pups are roughly similar in volume.

However, whatever combination of pickups you use, all things being equal, the Neck pickup will be louder and the Bridge Pickup will have less low end. Nearer the neck, the strings vibrate with more amplitude, therefore generate a higher voltage in the neck pup, hence more volume. As you are aware, if you pick nearer the bridge you get more treble and less Bass.

5. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Yes I know the pup close to the neck will always have more bottem end. But when I just use the bridge pup, I need more low end and a humbucker seems to be my only option. I have played a P/H set up before, and noticed the two pickups were not fighting for volumne. It sounded full, but it did lack the presense of a single coil bridge pup. Maybe if the EMG DC doesnt work, I could use the switchable single/dual coil version of this pickup.

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Better idea: Lower the neck pick-up, raise the bridge pick-up. Duhhhr.

7. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    LOL Duhhhr thats real funny, you're a funny guy. No I have tried that idea and I still have volumn issues. The EMG DC just arrived in the mail today. I am getting the outer pickup cover made this weekend by a guy at work. Once I have all the parts in order, I will begin routing the bridge cavity for the humbucker. Then it should just be a matter of putting everything back together.