1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P-bass With EMG pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by papjason, Mar 11, 2008.

1. papjason

papjason

Jan 22, 2006
    Greece
    Hi everyone!
    I have an American P-Bass and i'm thinking of
    changing my pickups...
    I don't like the sound of my bass so i was thinking of
    replacing them with an EMG PJ set.
    i want to add a J pickup.
    what do u think of that??
    any suggestions???

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi PapJason
    Just my 2 cents here, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but you might consider putting your bass up on the For Trade section here and swapping it for something you DO like the sound of... because an American P Bass is kind of a special creature with a specific sound, know what I mean? It's sort of the exact opposite of the Fodera Victor Wooten EMG P/J kind of sound...

But if you want to go that route (pun intended) maybe you should try installing the EMG P first, play it for a while to see if you like it, before you gouge out the hole for the J pickup :)

ps This advice is coming from someone who plays a P/J setup (Bartolini, but that's not important) on one of his main basses. Having the J pickup is very nice, so I see why you are tempted. Mine was P/J since birth though.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    +1

i own a jazz, and two P's. i love the sound of all of my basses, but they all do different things, and i'd never dream of putting a J pup in one of my P's, because a P is a beautiful thing. so is a J bass. keep the P a P, and if you don't like it, sell it, trade it, whatever it takes, and get something you like better.