Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P bass with new S-1 switch reviews!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Heres the deal, today my Guitar Center pulled out our first American Fender P bass with the new S-1 switching technology and I got to give it a spin!

Ok, first off let me just let you guys know that its the new American Standard and will replace the classic designs as far as I know. Dont freak out though because besides an extra switch, you are looking at no difference from the older style P basses. It would also be very easy to replace with a standard pot if you have any issues with it.

Tone: 8/10
    Killer P bass tone with the switch in the standard series position. No difference at all as far as I could tell.

With the switch on it was kinda like a mid scoop. You lose a lot of that mid range grunt and boom that you normally associate with a P bass. You also have a kind of mid shift. It seems that some of the higher middle freequencies were accentuated and so was the top-top end which gave it a kinda sparkly high end sound. The lows were also shifted a bit to the lower end but generally not as present.

Its actually more subtle than my post my make it seem. After all its just a passive switch. It does give a nice variety of tone, but to tell you the truth I like the standard P sound much more which is ok since all I have to do is push the button.

Feel: 9/10
    It actually felt pretty sturdy and strong. It was easy to push the smoothly sliding button but didnt seem like something that would accidentally get knocked out of place. Its also good to note that you can feel the position of the botton very easily to tell if its on or off without taking your eyes off that cute girl in front of the stage. ;)

Look: 9/10
    Very inconspicous! I barely noticed it at first and had to do a double take to realize what we had on our hands. Definetly nothing anyone off stage would notice. Its really cool how they hid that switch. It keeps the bass looking nice and clean.

So what I wanna know is who else has played one and how are those Jazz models?

Peace
    Nick

2. I have nothing witty to put here but, I do think I'll take a wait and see attitude.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im completely aware of this!

Do you know if you could do that series paralel mod with active Jazz pickups such as EMGs?

Peace
    Nick

4. actually Fender did it back in 1992 on the US Precision Plus bass.
    -I have one and thought the switch was useless as all the mids dropped out in parallel mode.

but much more worthy for switching a neck and bridge p/up.

5. do EMG J's have three output leads- + - and ground, or just 2?

if it's just the + and the screen then no.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Why not?
    Its not a in-pickup coil wiring, its about the way they blend between them.

You have 3 conductors. 1 for current input, 1 ground, 1 hot.

You put 1 hot to the jack, the ground to the other pickup hot, and the ground from the other pickup to the ground of the instrument. Thats it.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im just concerned that there would be a problem caused by the internal pre-amps with the EMGs.

Has anyopne actualy done this with EMGs?

Peace
    Nick

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can't because you'd be feeding a PU preamp with another one.
    Theydon't have enough headroom for that. It will result in distortion and yes, possibly damages.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats what I thought, but it would have been cool to try.

Peace
    Nick