1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P-Basses: Differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Aug 24, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So, i've started to look at a bit lower prices for P-Basses (1000 and under) and while trying to look through the fender stuff on guitar centers website, I sorta got lost in the squiers, the standards, the American standards, the American deluxes, etc... I would like to know any major differences between them. Also, are there any good P-basses that are fairly easy to come across and are less than $1000?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    THere are a TON of P basses made by Fender, but the most popular ones are:

Fender Standard Precision: MIM P bass
    Fender American Standard Precision: MIA P bass w/ better electronics and hardware than MIM. 08'+ adds graphite rods in the neck, rolled fretboard edges, thinner Poly finish.
    Fender Deluxes: Usually have active electronics of some sort
    Fender American Vintage: MIA P bass w/ vintage appointments. Nitro finish.

All of them can be found for under $1000. I try to stick with the MIA's personally, but there are great playing basses from Mexico, China, Japan, etc. They all need to be played first to make sure you're "getting a good one"

3. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Yep, Fender makes a lot of cool stuff.

One possible point of confusion:
    Fender American Special Precision: MIA but not the same as American Standard (see Fender website for particulars); sells for less.

One more to consider IMHO:
    Fender Classic Series: love mine! ('70s P bass--mine is MIJ, many are MIM)

The TB classifieds have lots of great P basses for sale; consider buying used as you will likely be able to sell or trade for close to your purchase price later on, when GAS inevitably strikes. I played a used 2010 American Standard at my local GC recently and boy was I tempted! Smooth as glass. Tone for days. Well under $1000. Must...resist....:help:

+1 on trying before buying if you can. Good luck!

SL