Fender P-basses through Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Metal Guy, Dec 19, 2005.

1. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    Today I tried out a Gallien Krueger half-stack that sounded great.

Since I didn't take my bass, (A Fender USA P-bass) I really don't know how it sounds through a GK half stack.

Does anyone have any opinion on how it would sound?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Without knowing which head and which cabinet you're talking about and something about the bass that you used when you liked the sound of the bass/amp/cabinet combination, it's really hard to tell you much.

Being pro level gear it can probably sound really good or really bad depending on how you set up the EQ and the way you play.

I love P Basses and don't think I've ever played through an amp that made one sound bad...
  3. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yep. Assuming a decent amp and speakers, the only thing that can make a P bass sound bad is the player.
  4. I play a fender p bass through my gk 410 with a 1978 mark III bass head and I love it. great highs and mids but also great low sound. I play mostly rock and some jazz :bassist:
  5. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Colin Greenwood of Radiohead plays (or played) a p-bass through a GK-800RB head and Ampeg SVT 810 cabs. I think he has a great sound. I'm not sure how much of that is influenced by the Ampeg cabs though.

I played through a GK 400RB head with my not-so-awesome-but-has-much-sentimental-value P bass clone last year. I thought the head worked well for the pretty straightforward sound I wanted.
  6. Duff McKagen ....listen to early GNR, great P-Bass tone through GK..
  7. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I have the GK 1001RB-II and I run it through a variety of cabs depending on the venue (mostly Peavey at the moment (1x15BW, 4x10TVX, but have used Ampeg SVT410, PR410, on occasion and I also have an Acoustic 306 (2x15). With the exception of the Acoustic cab which is coming apart at the seams on me, all the other cabs sounded very good with my Fender Precision. But the RBH series or Neo series cabs from GK or a Schroeder are definitely on my list. I have played the RBH 1x15 with the Fender and I thought the tone rocked. Just my .02