1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eotpr, Aug 19, 2007.

1. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    Yesterday I went ti the local GC and played a MIM and a Squier P bass. ( I could not reach the MIA and couldn't get any one to get it down for me) The action and sound of the MIM was terrible compared to the Squire. What is the deal? I though that Squire basses were inferior to the MIM Fenders. Did I just find a bad MIM and an exceptionally good Squire? :bag:

2. Nah, just a setup issue. I don't care what anyone says to the contrary, EVERY new bass and guitar needs to be setup before it's truly ready to play. The frustrating thing is that experiences like yours can turn off people to some really good instruments. Luckily, you're a TB'er and you'll learn better.

3. probably an exceptionally good squire, and the mexican bass probably wasn't set up.

any guitar can be an amazing guitar

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    G.C. is notorious for NOT setting up the basses they sell.

I've seen stuff on there wall that was unplayable. Literaly, strings laying across the frets when tuned to pitch (too much back bow) or strings more than a 1/2 off the fingerboard (not enough back bow)

With a good set up on both, you might find the MIM to be more polished feeling.

You may have just hit a MIM dog too, or an exeptional Squier. It's tough to make that call when one or both are poorly set up.

The hardware on the MIM is definitly a step up from the Squier.

Probably nothing a good set up can't cure on most basses for sale at G.C. regardless of brand.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Well, the new Squiers have a reputation for being better than previous production. Also, with the MIMs, its easy to get a lousy one. MIM production can be hit or miss sometimes.

GC is not a good place to get a good comparison going. I have the same problems at my GC. I don't think they even know the store has a bass section. I've never seen a salesman enter it.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Get a VMS (Vintage Modified Series) Squire P bass. I played one the other day and it was amazing. I was seriously impressed.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yup. Just bought one today :D

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Welcome to the wonderful world of crappy Fender QC (I can say that as I own 6 Fenders:spit: :D ) although it is likely just a setup issue.

Fender quality can be garbage and I have played terrible instruments from Indonesia, Japan, Mexico and even MIA.

As an example, my Geddy Lee is amazingly put together and sounds and looks great. The other two I played at the same store (from the same purchase order to Fender) were brutal. One had frets so sharp that you would literally rip the skin off your hand when playing. The other had a warped neck and the pickguard was about an 1/8" misaligned from the control panel.

I have Indonesian, Mexican, Japanese and American Fenders and all of mine play great. Fenders really are hit or miss IMO and need to be played before being bought.

9. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    What I really want is a P bass with a fretless neck and flat wound strings. I am having a tough time finding one. I was looking at the Squier and the MIM thinking I could maybe find a used one cheap enough to replace the neck and have what I want.

10. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY

AMEN!

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've always read that the QC on Japanese Fenders is superb.

12. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Not superb, but it is the best of the 3, IMO.

I was between the VMS P and an OLP Levin.... I ended up with the Levin, only cause I wanted a 5-string. If it wasn't for that, I would've gotten the P.

13. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Both are good choices. I preferred the Squier because it was lighter and I generally like the Fender tone, although the Levin would be a lot of fun to play :)

14. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think it is excellent but it may be more accurate to say that it is the most consistent.