Fender; P-body, J-neck, P/J pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sharpcut, Apr 25, 2005.

1. sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    This kind of thought popped in to my head; a bass with:

- precision style body
    - jazz style neck
    - p/j pickups

I could not find a bass like this on the Fender website, does such a misfit even exist? Or would I have to assemble it from different parts?

2. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The Mexican Precision Deluxe suits your bill. Look under Precision bass, then Mexican or Deluxe or whatnot and you'll see it... 4 string, active EQ, passive P/J pups and a P body with J neck. Booyah!
  4. sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks for the quick responsenses!

The Deluxe seems nice, except for the pickups. If it only were an passive configuration, that would become my next victim :)

Do you know an passive equivalent?

5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Though I could be wrong, the addition of the active preamp came pretty recently. If you could find a Mexican Deluxe Precision from a couple of years ago, I believe they were passive.
  6. sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Has anyone playd the passive models? How would you compare the mixed breed to a traditional precision or a jazz?
  7. rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI
    Yeah, Fender added the active electronics to this model this last year. I have a standard Fender Deluxe Precision bass that is a few years old with the passive electronics and I simply love it. It's one bass that I will never get rid of.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I bought used parts on ebay & this (and other) bass forums and built my own. I spent a total of $225 and learned tons about maintaining my instruments at the same time.

I recommend it.
  9. sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Were they origal parts or Warmoth type?

And by the way, does a jazz neck fit flawlesly into a p-body?
  10. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    I have a 2004 precision deluxe and I have to say it's the ****.
    Call fender and see if they have any left over.
    PS the 2004 is passive.
  11. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I thought the P-bass specials were just that? A p-bass body, passive pj PUP's, and a J-bass neck? Do I have something wrong?
  12. My 1997 P-Bass Special is passive, with P & J pickups, and jazz neck. Its the standard P Bass Special config, as far as I know, I got it brand new back then(black with gold adonzied pickguard). Sweet!
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, my school's got one. Pretty good bass, I use it as a backup to my '78 P-bass, when I need something lighter, or a different sound in the jazz band. Great bass.
  14. I have an '65 P with an '72 J neck and the fit is fine. No troubles in the last 30+ years. I wish the guy would have just picked the "A" style P neck which just like a J. Oh, well, it sounds killer & I wouldn't sell it anyway. One of these days I'm gonna run into somebody with a Sadowsky pj rig & the wife is gonna notice that hit to our account! :smug:
  15. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    If you want the Fender vibe, but are not stuck on the Fender name....
    Check out the Squier Standard P-Bass Special Edition

Was with a bud at GC tonight to pic up my new microphone and we saw one hanging on the wall, I have always thought that the black with the matching headstock and mirror pickguard were pretty hot looking. My friend was digging it until he saw that it was a Squier, but I gave him the "don't judge a book by its cover" speech and grabbed it off the wall to try it out.

First thing I noticed was the slim jazz neck, i ran my hand up and down the side looking for bad fret edges..none to be found. The neck it straight with no twists and the action is setup pretty nice. (no changes in setup needed for me to feel comfortable playing it) I also noticed that the bass was pretty light (lighter than my SX P bass) A sticker on the pickguard indicated that the body was solid alder or agathis (not plywood) the P/J pickups were alnico, and the neck was maple, with a rosewood board and a skunk stripe. Price on the bass was $219. The tuners were a little stiff, but seemed solid, bridge was a standard fender style stamped bridge.

We grabbed a cord and hooked it up to a little Behringer BX600 amp (really nice sounding little amp, first time I have tried one). with all the eq on the amp set flat, the Squier had a nice fat tone and sounded and played really nice, it was good for bothe fingerstyle and had a nice slap tone as well. Overall we were both very impressed with the Squier, and I were in the hunt for another budget bass, this one would be high on the list.

The only problem with the bass that I found was the rear pickup was not working. Without opening up the bass, there was no way to tell why it did not work. But that told me that when I thought I had both pickups on full and was getting such a nice sound, it was actually only the P pickup.

So there is another bass for you to consider. If I run across a used one of these for the right price, i'l probably pick it up even though I don't need another "budget" bass in the herd.
  16. I believe the Fender MIA Hot Rods from several years ago were identical to what you're looking for. I know they had a P/J config with P body, and I belive it's a jazz neck, but I've never played one to be sure.
  17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I built one with a fender Pbass body and a warmoth jazz neck. I have the original P pick up it ('57RE and a seymour duncan J I had here).
    Very vintage sound, that's what I was looking for. Great bass.
  18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada