Fender P-deluxe.....help?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 18, 2004.

1. ok, I'm desperate for help here. I have had a Fender Precision deluxe from my parents for a year, and for one reason or another, it's gotten bumped a couple times (my big muff scratching the golden pickguard hard, a little ding in the finish of the bass, once fallen to the ground from crappy strap). Now before I hear that I abused the bass, which I feel bad about anyways, let me finish.

Today I was practicing for a gig on short notice with my friends, and everything sounded good. now what happened next was after about 3 hours, I had to get ready to go, so i turned my pickups all the way down, and happened to pluck the strings. I noticed then that out of my amp, my passive pickups (standard) were making a very soft volume through the amp even when all the way down when i played.

Usually the amp and bass are dead quiet except for a regular hiss, but I'm pretty sure I NEVER witnessed this happening regularly, so I think i know the problem. I noticed that I bumped the knobs into a couch of mine accidentally, and I'm thinking maybe this did something to the volume pots. is there any way to correct this?? I would hate to have to deal with getting rid of the bass because of this, cuz i really love the bass itself. the tone is still perfect, but the volume pots I'm questioning.

one of my friends said that on guitar that after playing his axe for a long time with his amp turned on loud, that he noticed it, and that it went away after a while.

Am i being paranoid or have I really screwed up my bass?? if i can fix it, I would like some details from online, because I'm not used to taking apart my bass, and I'm very cautious about trying to stay nice with my bass.

god, thanx for letting me vent.
  2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Theres no reason to get rid of the bass because of pots being damaged,they cost about 4.00$ YES 4.00$ is it,but you would be wise to bring them to a shop,I would go on the Fender web-site and find a local fender repairman to get you on your way(if you dont have someone to go to)
    Its not that big a deal,if you can solder well go for it,but judging by your phrasing you are'nt a seasoned bass do-it-yourselfer,I myself am a bass tech and would advice against ripping the bass apart and learning on it.
    good luck,IT WILL BE O.K. :D