1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender P/J Body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by hennessybass, Nov 28, 2018.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Price:
    I inherited this body that was someone else's abandoned project (I got a neck and tuners I wanted).

MIM body that the previous owner routed for a J pickup and stripped the paint. Looks like it could use a little sanding, and then be ready for a re-finish.

I don't have the knowledge, means or desire to re-finish, and I don't really want a P/J, so I'm selling off this body. Open to offers.

--- 5.1 lbs --- (see below)

Let me know if you have questions, want more pics, etc...

JG1z6b9JZF86Oxi3lfykTEJh3DMzbjA1EmbAfe_7m3CMP_DT9s2BOJy2C7ktdmSl57DrTk4RjK012MIdVh0=w497-h662-no.

I7QweyQkJw-xK6OSTxHAoZXg6iYSsj12BZ_KrFMjYCUhNgEU0GhkVP01ZY0OrXaqpBiU4pM8r8k__jH-g8M=w883-h662-no.

fsxQup3BCO0ZhhL690-6Jjk5BqQ9dvdGE7mMinAv2XtLWGFWokDsraaWzTCCPovy1ZFJWHox-ISbh98HjIG=w883-h662-no.

7MafiUQrH3UIdnk7sOUYosH-X2oUc_5tjJ2vNMWhq-ZozIUOJG2I5deVY7ImhZQiBxwvAvMgrO5YJV2V4c8=w497-h662-no.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    What is the weight of the body?

3. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ah... forgot that all important detail.
    It won't read on my bathroom scale, so I weighed myself with and without the bass body several times. Got the same results each time.

This would put the body at 5.1 lbs.

ExaltBass likes this.
  4. Im not sure if its my old eyes.....but that J route looks awfully skewed

5. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Boy it sure does. Maybe not as great as I thought.
    This all came to me in a heap of parts, so maybe I wasn't being as critical as I should have.

I held the bridge in place with tooth picks to provide a point to measure against. Looks like it's skewed about 1mm.

Considering all things, probably more of a project for someone than a high end build, eh @Toolmybass?

8r4YQ5gYtmCqs5U0ZxSMGqvsHPklMyl6uI1ftEYLyCRDW5ZuPwCBzTqo7Vn0g_lfvNQQ0y2M6SbXcHz6Xnf=w883-h662-no.
    70U3b_ky7lT7W0T4Hjw6HpRckYsHLJh10L4Wv1J2VR2eiqRGaOxBqerNxHq5PeaKmP_LQzCtPyRi_jGYRMR=w373-h662-no.
    ttbhhmjgb5I4bqiE_6qhVB4cJnJotpYIldIRLOGTp2HFa4wuJyI07i3z9NECN7B0Q_Klx11b8YqMGw1zQ7i=w373-h662-no.
    zggjHb4HH4o3dQvPaZJXkUONGFBRFeIB1VeQGKLLX3tm4ocYV4HkKf51JX0mJciMfQXtKBUETOh0ZI8zB55=w373-h662-no.

6. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I noticed the body has an F.P.S. stamp in the neck pocket. To the best of my knowledge that would indicate a MIM body. Here's what I found on the net when I researched that stamp on a body I bought some time back. The body I bought has the same CNC holes in the same place and the same rounded corners in the neck pocket as your body does.

FPS = Factory Production Special. It's the Mexican plant's equivalent to the American plant's FSR guitars. It's just a way of designating the guitar isn't a "standard" guitar. For instance, plus top models will get the FPS stamp. A run containing Floyd Rose tremolos would get an FPS stamp. They all have something NON-standard to them that makes them "different," which requires a special run that is more involved than the standard run. Which also means they have a slightly larger price tag than the standard models.

GLWTS

123321 and hennessybass like this.
  7. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Man, I had a lot wrong about this body. The guy who traded it to me said it was a CIJ bass that he was modding. Assumed the body was part of that CIJ bass, but I guess it was just the neck.
    I'll edit my original post.

8. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    No worries IMO a MIM body is as good or better than a CIJ although some might not agree with me on that. Necks however are a different story. I like the CIJ necks better.

GLWTS

hennessybass likes this.
  9. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I feel like I've played some nice CIJ basses.

I did this trade for a bass that I hadn't taken out of the case in three years, and was not having any luck selling. The neck I got was a CIJ (70s RI I think) that has the 1.62" nut. Also had a set of vintage reverse tuners on it. I've had a lot of the bigger P bass necks, and never liked em.

Also got a nice pick guard, a nice P pick up, and a nice J pick up. Selling off all the parts and hoping to buy a body and have a regular old P with a neck I like.

60bass likes this.
  10. Im def on the hunt for something! ;)

11. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    MV5BNjUxNjMyZmUtYWE4Yi00Mzg2LWJkZmYtY2YyNjQ4ZmIyMGQwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxMDUyOTI@._V1_.

60bass likes this.
  12. I have updated my "supporting member" status and just put an ad in the Wanted section yesterday. So I'm going to let that stew there for a bit before making any decisions.
    Cheers

hennessybass likes this.
  13. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    another clue is the 09 DIC 2011 stamp in the neck pocket. translates to DICiembre 09, 2011. japanese don't spell december that way.

60bass and hennessybass like this.
  14. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for all the interest - and knowledge - folks. I sold the body and learned a lot in the process.

60bass likes this.