1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P/J comparison?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Played a new Jazz Aerodyne last week and it sounded lovely.

1. I see on the web some have scratchplates and some don't. Are these older models, or are they different in other ways? No sign on fender.com.
    2. Does the P aero sound more-or-less identical to the J aero?
    3. Just clocked this P/J Reggie Hamilton Jazz. How does that sound (in passive mode) in comparison to the aeros?
    4. Also tried a USA Jazz with the S1 switch recently, and with the switch engaged that also sounded sweet. Much different?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these animals?

2. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The Non-Export Aerodyne Jazz (i.e., for the Japan market only) comes in several colors and has a pickguard. The Aerodyne Jazz that is exported by Fender Japan has no pickguard, and only comes in black.

The Aerodyne P and Aerodyne Jazz have the same electronics, as far as I know.

I don't know enough to answer your other questions.

I have an Export Aerodyne Jazz, and I really like it. Light, comfortable to play, sounds good. Some people have complained about the fretboard radius or neck dive, but I have had no problems with mine.

Mine is very well made and looks great. I think these are good instruments for the price.

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
  4. Wow, they all look cooooool. Why can't we have them here? Our any-colour-as-long-as-it's-black one is pretty dull.

Not fair :(

5. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I have a 2007 Fender Aerodyne CIJ, one of the NON-export models, which I bought on eBay. It is "dolphin gray" with a black pickguard, and looks sweet.

That said, the electronics in mine have been problematic. The J pickup on my bass does NOT like to play nice when blending (it hums despite shielding and everything else) and the pots seem to have "break points" where they go all or nothing. I am seriously considering either totally overhauling the electronics (noiseless J and/or new pots) or just selling my Aerodyne and buying a bass with humbuckers/noiseless pickups from the start...