Fender P/J wiring diagram needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Aug 2, 2020.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    HELP! I need somebody to help me out with a proper wiring diagram for a Fender P/J Bass. I've installed and replaced many pickups over the years but this one's giving me a major headache. After the 4th time rewiring this Bass and closely following the wiring; the neck pickup goes up to approximately 9 but when turned all the way up (10), it cancels out everything else; the times before that it would just hum and buzz like crazy every time I touched either one of the volume knobs. (grounding issue for sure). If it matters, I'm using a Custom shops 60's Jazz pup for the bridge and a Custom shop 63 P pup in the neck position. Thanks.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    upload_2020-8-2_13-6-42.jpeg

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That seems like you had the output jack wired backwards.

4. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    :laugh: That's the same exact diagram that I followed to a T; I "usually" don't have a problem with wiring, I've done it a bunch of times, so I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with one (or more) of the components. I like it to be very neat inside the cavity (as neat as I possibly can) - OCD ya know:). I put it aside for a bit to take a break and wait for my new CTS (250k) pots to arrive. I personally prefer linear taper for both volumes and the tone. Thanks, I'm quite sure I wired everything correctly but -Who knows
    :smug:

5. I have a bass with a Duncan P J set I am trying to rewire using this same diagram and having issues as well. The P just isn't making it thru the circuit, I have tried a different 250k pot, broke it all down and rewired it all over and still nada. The pickup tests fine. It's 2020 maybe?!?!:eek::eek:,

DynaBass Deluxe UnitySeries ditching the active circuit and going passive vvt. Not sure about the Pbase but the Jazz is the Five String Stack

FB_IMG_1596480215952.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  6. Just did it again from scratch with all new pots, cap and wiring testing each part and connection as I went meticulously. Once again only the Jazz and tone are working no P, sounds really good btw but frak me donkey style.
    I think I may abandon the PJ vvt wiring all together now and do something more advanced anyway. Going to leave the Jazz as is cuz it sounds sweetly and go with the 60s Precision wiring and a 3 way pickup selector. Played a bass that way a long thyme ago and dug it.

madjazzbass likes this.
  7. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Wow, That's crazy! So it's not only me huh? I've never spent this amount of time trying to install a set of pickups in my life; I've done pick up changes swaps so many times, it's almost become 2nd nature, but this time around, with this P/J config., I don't know what's going on; I even tried wiring it like a Jazz Bass, very simple and still nothing but (loud) humming (when I touch the shafts) and NO volume from either pickup the last few "attempts". Here are a couple of ways I tried wiring it up (to no avail), and I followed these very very closely. I don't know why, but I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the mini pot(s) I'm trying to use for the tone knob (the spacing in the cavity is really tight up there for a regular size pot), If I use a regular size pot (for the tone, it's really, really tight, and I'd have to ? chizzle/route inside the cavity and I really don't want to do that. I really don't have the money to bring it to a luthier for something that I've done numerous times in the past; I need help ... or either give it a rest for a while and come back to it at another time.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  8. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    These are just 2 of the connections that I've tried; I even tried a "regular" ol' Custom Shop 60's J Bass connection. (Clearly) somethings missing and I can't see it:cool: 20200805_114652.jpg 20200805_114546.jpg

9. I made such a mess that I have ordered a new set of 250k pots and 3 way switch. I too have done this and more complex wiring in the past, this one is taking me to the Twilight Zone.

madjazzbass likes this.
  10. New pots and switch installed, rewired carefully, testing each connection = silence :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::poop::poop::poop::bawl::spam::crying:

I may have to seek professional help, luckily my mentor has offered. But I am afraid it may curse him too, what then ?!?o_O

madjazzbass likes this.
  11. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I don't know man, I'm still having the same troubles as well; new pots, new cap., new wiring ... I don’t understand, I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE:banghead::laugh: 15970361436746192352430027638576.jpg

12. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I can see in your pic that your pots are not grounded to one another. There’s no shielding on the pickguard which is usually enough to get the job done, but I still like to run a ground wire from one pot casing to the next (see the diagram in post #2) to ensure a solid connection.

madjazzbass likes this.
  13. I know it's spooky.
    New parts arrived, installed and failed again. I have an appointment to see my mentor on Tuesday to get this working.

14. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah I had it that way originally, the picture that I took/posted I was just trying wiring from a different diagram, Thanks.

15. Sooner Boomer

Sooner Boomer

Feb 11, 2020
    I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are you sure you have a good pickup? I bought a brand-new SD pickup for my Fender J Bass, only to find it was "open". Frustrating when you but a new part and expext it to work, only to find it after troubleshooting everything else!

madjazzbass likes this.
  16. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thanks, Yeah I checked both the pickups, turns out it was a bad pot., a brand new pot at that :cool:

17. I tested every component before installation for proper operation and tolerance, I always do as I was trained. The bass came with the SD pickups and tested to tolerences. The other parts were all new. I couldn't tell you has many guitars and basses I have wired or repaired over the years but my build diary was 250+ when I stopped.

18. IMG_20200812_173727387.jpg
    Mission Accomplished. Spent yesterday with my guru and finally got the wiring on this bass working. There were several issues that we corrected some were from previous install work and some were from my work. We also installed a grounding bus to make the bass absolutely silent since this bass will primarily be used for recording, with these strings even the tuners are grounded. I decided to go with a three way switch to fully isolate the Precision pickup and volume/tone for each pickup. The Hot P-Bass has the growl and bark you expect from a Precision with a good note clarity and string balance with the added sensitivity of the additional coil windings. It balances very nicely with the 5 string Jazz Bass Stack giving some nice blended tones and it sounds pretty nice on it's own for harmonics.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021