Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P Lyte

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Do any of you own one if so whats your opinion and what type of music do you play? I played one the other day it had the usual P pickups and also a humbucker (which attracted me) and besides being nice and light it was a dream to play with only one downside it was what seemed to be neck heavy and not balanced although still very light.

[Edited by PUNK&DONUTS on 02-01-2001 at 10:51 PM]

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I had an opportunity to try out Carol Kaye's new P-Lyte Deluxe at the NAMM Show and I was pretty impressed with it. I didn't get much of an opportunity to play it (5 mins or so) but she swears by it and I just ordered one from Evan at Bass Northwest. Her's seemed very well balanced to me playing it sitting down but it may be a bit neck heavy playing standing up...I'll let you know more after mine comes in.

3. I bought a mint second hand P Lyte a couple of months ago.
    It has gold hardware but doesn’t have the humbucker, but the P and S/C J type (no poles exposed). I think it is an early 90’s model, as now only the Deluxe has gold hardware. It weighs 7 pounds and has a case designed for it. (my standard P’s do not fit)

I must admit that I’m very impressed with this bass, especially for the cost. I have mainly used Stingrays for many years now for live work, but find the Lyte the most comfortable bass I have used. Mine isn’t neck heavy at all.
    The neck is wonderful, better than my 74 P, P Special and Redding Jazz.
    Also it is the most powerful instrument I have ever owned and really cuts though in a loud live situation.

The build quality isn’t quite as good as my Stingrays, but for comfort, sound and cost it is to be recommended.

Also as Dude pointed out, Carol Kaye swears by them and also recommended them to me.

I look forward to hearing what Dude has to say about them when his arrives.

Link to my P Lyte.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=698514&a=9259914

Spike.

4. Hey,

I got to check out a Fender P Lyte back in December.Can`t really comment on the sound,since I did`nt get to expeariment with the p/u settings,etc. but the look and feel of the bass were really nice.I can distinctly remember being liking how it felt in my hands.The one I saw was in natural finish.....nice!