Fender P. or Godin A5 -Which bass should I sell... ADVISES PLEASE !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Hi everyone,

Now that I am mainly an upright bass player, I have two bass guitars that I don't use a lot, so I will sell one. But I just can't make up my mind on which one . I HAVE to sell one. :bawl:

Here are the contestants :

-Godin A5, Acoustic fretless 5 string, with Half-rounds
    -Fender precision elite 1983, sunburst, 1 pickup, gold plated, all-maple neck

WHICH ONE WOULD YOU SELL ?????? :confused:

Any comments would be appreciated. This dilemma is driving me crazy !
  2. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Obviously it's a very personal decision, but I would keep the P. You may have a need to play some BG in the future, and the P will handle the job. The godin, it seems to me, is more an attempt to mimic an upright and you've got the real thing.
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Sell the Godin, youde be better off with more diversity in your sound than with two basses that pretty much cover the same ground.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is a given: if you sell that P, you WILL buy another one! Save yourself some money, and sell the Godin.
  5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    You could just sell the P to me if you wanna get rid of both, I only got like $25 on me :D ;)
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    While i LOVE godins, id say sell the Godin. A P is just too versatile/loveable to give up.
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm obsessed with P's so I say sell the Godin.
  8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Sell the Godin! It's almost the same sound as the URB.

Although that P Elite is probably really, realy heavy, isn't it? All I've ever seen were.

9. The elite is not that heavy, just like any P bass ! I once had a Fender P 69 (gotta love that year !) that was as heavy. But the balance on a strap is really bad.

Is there anybody gonna vote for the Godin A5 ?

Another thing : my girlfriend hates hearing me tap (I had a long Billy Sheehan phasis, during which i learned all his solos and songs from Talas... ). She also hates to hear me slap... Even my dog asks for the door when I start my amp !
  10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

FWIW, my '69 P is pretty light compared to most of the P's I've seen. I played an Elite in NM once that had to have weighed 11 pounds!

Ouch! Worse than my Stingray 5!

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Please kill yourself as a public service , and all your basses, immediately, and save us from GASSING over the wonderful
    Godin or P.

12. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Keep the P, for sure.