Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender p or j basses dead spot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 23, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    i was experiencing some dead spot on this ibanex EDA-900, but im looking for p or j basses. do they have dead spots too? i heard they improved by enlarging their head stock.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually the large headstock seems to make deadspots more likely.
    Fender deadspots are usually found around the 5th fret on the G.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    As far as I can tell, the headstock makes little or no difference. The headstock on my '72 is huge and the headstock on my Sting is small and they both have the same dead spot. The 5th-7th fret G-string deadspot on most Precisions seems to be accentuated by flats. Neither of these basses have noticeable deadspots with roundwounds.

The graphite-reinforced neck is supposed to lessen deadspots. I find none on my American Series HRPB, but I've never had flats on it, either, so there you go.

I prefer the sound of flats, so I live with the deadspots.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I believe that string gauge may make a difference. I have (for the most part) always used a .45 G-string, (usually DR or Rotosound) and I had never noticed a dead spot on my Jazz. I just recently restrung with a .50 D'Addario and now I have a dead spot on the fourth fret. It's back to .45s for me.

5. jbasser206

jbasser206

Jul 31, 2002
    Western NY
    I have 3 Jazz Basses of different vintages, all three have dead spots 5 fret on the G string!! ( that's why my new axe is a Lakland !!)

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The Graphite reinforced neck fitted since 97 solves the problem......

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My '75 Jazz with light roundwounds has no dead spot, and neither does my '92 Precision Plus. Guess I just got lucky.

8. Apparently different types (and even brands) of strings does make a big difference...

I read somewhere that the 'dead spot' is when you play a note whose fundamental coincides with the resonant frequncy of the neck. (the premise being that the neck strongly resonates at that frequency, effectively 'sucking all the energy' out of the note)

In that case, making the headstock bigger would increase the mass of the neck, and just move the problem down a few notes.

In the 70's a Fender designer successfully experimented with headless necks intended to raise the frequency of the 'dead spot" up to above the 12th fret, where its effects were basically not an issue. Problem was, the resulting bass was deemed much too aesthetically challenging for marketing!

ah, heres that great article on it (by Phil Kubuki) HERE

[​IMG] (Fender headless!)

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My '99 Am. Std. P had the standard dead spot, although somewhat attenuated by the graphite. My '85 MIJ had a somewhat stronger dead spot. My '90 JP-90 had it at the seventh fret on the G. My G&L SB-1 has it at the seventh fret on the G. My current Franken-P which has a heavy ash body and a heavy maple/rosewood Allparts neck has a pretty even response, with just a hint of the usual deadspot. Some heavy basses, though, have really bad deadspots.

I've noticed that a lot of import basses tend to have a deadspot around A (seventh fret) on the D string. I have a Washburn XS-2 that has this, but a combination of a Badass II bridge and a Fat)Finger helped a lot. The only other time I tried a Badass II was on my MIJ P and it made it sound worse, so it's not a cure-all.

As far as string gauges, sometimes they make a big difference, sometimes they don't. I've changed gauges and had a dead spot disappear, only to come back in a couple of days when the neck settles in.

Ibanez says that the smaller headstock on the EDA basses helps eliminate deadspots. Washburn is making the "Hammerhead" basses with a brass plate inserted into the headstock for the same reason, so at least manufacturers are addressing the problem.

The moral of this story is that it seems to be a crapshoot.