1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P or Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeremyM, Aug 13, 2007.

1. JeremyM

JeremyM

Aug 13, 2007
    I'm looking into higher end basses and would like to hear some opinions on the differences of Fender P basses and Spector basses. I realize that these two basses are completely different, and probably un-comparable; however I just want to hear the pros and cons, different genres they are apropriate for, and basically get an understanding for both of them. I also realize that in order to make a real decision I should play them for myself, but would still like to hear opinions of more experienced players. Thanks for any help.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    apples and oranges.

Fender P - a classic tone that works for just about any genre of music. Not the most hi-fi sound, but good for laying down think supportive lines. Its not that its a versatile instrument for having a lot of tones, its versatile for have 2-3 tones that work in a bunch of different places. If you're a knob twiddler, look elsewhere as this is as simple as simple gets. Probably the best thing about the P is that it never outlives its usefulness. Even if stops becoming your main workhorse, there will always be times when you can use it.

Spector - I don't know a LOT about Spectors, but I have played quite a few. My favorite is the Czech model with the EMG P/J pickups configuration. I know they have a lot of growl and probably have more available tones than the Fender will. They are a lot more modern sounding, which is good for certain kinds of metal or funk. If you decide its not your workhorse anymore, you'll probably never use it again unlike the P. Of course, there are many who wouldn't take any Fender over their Spector.

As you can probably tell, this is not an easy comparison to make it they are two different types of bass altogether 1 id more vintage and 1 is more modern. Myself, I would go for the P, but that is no slight on Spectors. Its just that you can take a P on almost any gig and it will work fabulously. But, if you need a more modern sound....

This could go in circles all night.

Do you have anyone who's tone is similar to what you are after? Have you ever played either of these two and if so what were your thoughts? They are both well-built basses that have been around and successful for decades so, I'm sorry, but it all comes back to what you like better.

3. What Double agent said is true...of Fender.
    It is a classic sound that will serve you well in most circumstances...plus if you go into the studio, the engineer will love you!:D
    having never played a spector I can`t speak on them, all I know is that my P does me right in everything from Dirt Bike Rock, to sugary pop, to jazz and funk.
    I hope this helps.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think Spector is a great bass if you like the more modern sustainy sound with an emphasis on the treble end. And a Precision is a classic sound that is great for playing in bands of all kinds. I think a working bass player who does a lot of different projects could benefit by owning one of each. But if I could only own one, as a working bassist I'd go with the Precision because it's more universally loved by non-bassists, some who may be paying you. Either way you go, though, is a good choice.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    A long-time classic vs. a modern classic. They're both great basses in their own right, but very different. As was said earlier, if you play a lot or are into different types of music, it would be ideal to have both. I'm actually putting together a Mighty Mite P-bass to complement my Spector. I love the growly, clear tone of the Spector and to be able to blend the P/J pups, but I also play stuff that requires the simplicity of a passive P. The Spector is more versatile than a P-bass, but sometimes the P is all you need. It's all a matter of what one likes tone wise. The issue is quite the dilemma wrapped in an enigma.

6. Ive got a Fender J (close enough) and a couple of Euro Spectors and I love both of them. If I could only have one I would take the Spector. The EMG's on the Spector can give you a very wide range, very fat bottom with nice brilliant highs and you can also roll off the J pup and just use the P pickup and that will give you a pretty good P-bass sound. The Fender is also a great sounding bass, just a little less versatile. It all comes down to the sound you like best and the look and feel of the bass. Also, the fender could end up being $200 - $500 cheaper than the spector. But why force yourself to choose? get both!