Fender P or Tobais 4 (musicyo)?!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Jul 29, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    help i'm considering buying a mexican fender ptrecision 4 string but i saw the deal at musicyo.com a tobais 4 string for 429 with active elecs. 24 frets which one should i get, i've never played a tobais so i'm not sure please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I can tell you right now almost everyone will respond with, "get the fender". but in the end its up to u, i'm also thinking of getting the tobias if it means anything. have fun with either one!
  3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    My gut reaction after reading your question was "Get The Fender!" and I guess that's sad considering I know nothing about the Tobias. It really is a personal choice. Figure out which one you really want and need and get that one.
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Precision and the Tobias are basses with different personalities. The sound that you want and need should dictate your answer. While I love the classic sound of a precision (I have more than one pbass, myself), it is in many ways a 'one trick pony' -- a two pickup instrument will generally have more versatility and sounds from which to choose.

Given what I know today and my own personal taste and requirements, I'd probably choose the Tobias for it's two pickups and active electronics. The "Pro" Tobias just got a nice write-up from BP Magazine, though I assume your price range means the Deluxe-4.

Good luck with your choice.

- Bob
    eclectic bass - <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html" TARGET=_blank>
    <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html" TARGET=_blank>
    DoubleBass LINKS page -
  5. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I suspect one reason that most people will suggest you get the Fender is that it possesses a strong resale value. I have noticed that, should you get the Tobias and not like it, you'll be able to sell it on eBay without too much difficulty. They have been selling regularly there for near/above musicyo prices. I don't know musicyo's return policy. Since you can try out the Fender in any available shop, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

[This message has been edited by Jazzbassman (edited July 30, 2000).]
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No bob, hes talking about the pro 4. And yeah, i say get the Tobias...much more versatility. And as for musicyo.com's return policy, i believe its a 10 day thing.

[This message has been edited by MegaAngus (edited July 30, 2000).]
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Resale: Sooner or later most people will catch on to the fact that MusicYo has low prices for new Tobiases and the ones on eBay will become harder to move.

Returns: The return policy is 30 days. Should be plenty of time for anyone to make up their mind.

I just bought a 6 for $499 including gig. Check this thread for my mini-review:
    http://www.talkbass.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001134.html The fours and fives probably don't have the same neck issues the six did (for me).
  8. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone familiar with this board knows I'm the "Get the Fender" guy. I notice you have a Squier Bronco and it says "by choice"...why is that? What is it you like about the Bronco? (I've only played one once or twice.) That may help decide whether or not you'd like the P or Tobias.

IMHO, the 23rd and 24th frets on any bass are useless in most situations. I've done tons of jazz, pit orchestra, and pop/rock gigs for years and have never owned a 24 fret bass and have never needed them.

Likewise, the active electronics on a bass make a very distict difference in how a bass sounds. I own two active basses and three passives and am beginning to realize that I really do prefer the sound of passive pickups over active.

Therefore, if those are your only two reasons for considering the Tobias over the P, you might want to give both of those some thought. Even if you can't play a Tobias in your local store, bring your amp and go play some active basses through and see if you really do like the sound.

The lastest Bass Player had a nice review of a Toby 5 string that was pretty impressive. However, a P is a P...the deeper you get into playing bass you'll probably end up owning some sort of P anyway.

9. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey thanks for all your input i think i'll go with the tobais now and keep the squire if i dont like the tobais i'll just return it and pickup a fender they're not to much of a price hassle; oh and the reason i choose to play the bronco is with a maple i think fretboard and the single pickup i can get a really nice slap tone the pickup and fretboard react nicely to a sharply placed middle thumb joint slap on the 22 fret

thanks again