Fender P problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tihi, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Hello there!

Today I tryed out a '72 Fender precision.. Very light, killer tone.
    Everything's great, but has no tone at some positions on D and A string. (shown at pictures) – only frett buzzing and some king of plunking???
    What could be the reason (frets, neck, frettboard???), and can it be repaired?
    Is it worth buying and repairing?

Thanks guyz!
  2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    frets/neck/fretboard. Very good guess.
    Could be any of the above, I'd say get a guitar tech to look at it before buying. Could be an easy fix (fret leveling), or could be an overwarped neck.
  3. Most probably, it's just a set-up issue.... i.e., too much relief in the neck and then lowering the strings too much at the bridge to compensate for the high action in the middle area of the neck. As a result, the strings are too close to the neck about the 12th fret.

Usually a slight raising of the strings and a truss rod adjustment (tightening) to straighten the neck takes care of the problem.

Also, might just be one fret that needs a little leveling.
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Ah, good call. They might have overtweaked the neck to make up for a worn nut. Something else to check.
  5. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    When you say no tone, do you mean fret buzz? If so, in that area, my first guess would be that the bridge saddles need to be raised, raising your action (just a setup issue). However, it could mean an uneven fret (fixable), or worse--that warp that some bolt-on necks get where there is a rise on the fretboard near the butt of the neck. Check it by eye--get the relief to be near straight and look down the length of the neck from the bridge side looking down to the headstock. See if you can see the frets all lined up and level. If you see that there is any warpage, I don't think it's worth buying and fixing.
  6. No tone at all, just a short, dull "blump", and only at D and A string, The outer G and E sounds perfectly.

7. Now when I think back, there was also a little fret buzz.
  8. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    Sounds like a setup issue. When you go back, take a tiny screwdriver with you to raise the saddles on the A and D strings. If that takes care of it without the action being uncomfortably high, that might be a winner. I think the bass in question should have a 7.25" fretboard radius which is rounder than most basses these days and the saddle heights on the bridge should roughly mimic the fretboard radius. Take a look.

I'd still check out the neck carefully for any warpage. If it's all good, you should probably still take it in for a set up.

Also, if you can, you should check out the truss rod and make sure it works properly and that it is not maxed out. I don't know if you or the seller are comfortable with taking the neck off, but that is something that I would have to check with a used instrument. Maybe you can ask the seller to let you have a tech check it out before finalizing the deal?
  9. This may seem obvious but...could the strings be kinked? - either way i'd see if I could try it with a new set if i were you
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    It does sound like a set up issue. Shimming can be rather significant to the set up in that area of the neck on a Fender, IME. Good idea to have someone who is familiar with these issues look it over.
  11. Another possibility is that the A and D strings could be hitting the pickup. The pickup halves usually get tilted a bit to compensate for the curve of the neck and if the inner sides of the pickup halves are too high the inner strings could hit.

Rick B.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My thought is that that's a bad place to have that particular problem. Sometimes it means that you have a 'rise' happening at the neck joint. Due to the stress of the joint, and the fact that there are holes drilled deeply in the wood of the neck at that point (where moisture can get in as opposed to other parts of the neck), it's a place where the neck can become 'out of flat'. If this is the case, it can be fixed, but you'd want to take it to a qualified service.
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I also think it's probably a setup issue. Turn the truss rod clockwise a bit to tighten it and keep in mind that it will take a day or so for the neck to adjust to the new truss rod setting.
  14. Turned out that something is wrong with the neck. Did not buy it.

Thanks for all the help!
  15. shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Not sure if anyone has asked I only skipped through the replies.

How much is the place asking for it? I think you should play dumb and go for the killer deal on a vintage bass saying it needs some serious work.............

Is it a pawn shop or guitar shop?

I do agree with everyone else in the set up most likely needs some tweaking...........

Good luck let us know how you end up.............

The bass has that Jaco look to it with the scratches and wear on the body:bassist: