Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P Re-Mojofication

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uglycicles, Aug 16, 2005.

1. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Just thought I'd share.

I've owned a 2000 USA Precision Bass for the last few years. While I like it, and it's a well-constructed bass, for whatever reason it's just never been my favorite. I've had it up for sale a couple of times, came close to selling once, but never parted with it.

So, I decided to get a little old school on it. :D

Before (Stock):

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Not a crazy mod project by any means, but in addition to the obvious pickguard change and adding the ashtrays, I installed a Nordstrand NP4 pickup and put on D'Addario Chrome Flats. What a world of difference. The Nordstrand pickup is so cool - vintage sounding, but fuller and cleaner.

I'm subbing with a blues group this weekend - guess which bass is coming with me? ;)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Classy. :cool: Pickup covers are always a nice looking addition.

3. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe slap a Leo Quan on it? I mean...you wouldn't see it, but you'll notice the tone!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Except for the headstock it looks like it came right outta 1978. Beautiful bass!

5. I disagree, IMO a bridge's affect on tone is extremely limited. We've talked about this before, but what I think affects tone (in order of most to least affect) given the same body, neck, amp, and fingers

1) Strings
    2) Pickups
    3) Pickup Adjustment
    4) Nut (on open strings only)
    5) Bridge

6. Now THAT has some serious mojo!!!

You're gonna rock that bitch this weekend. Let us know how it plays in the mix.

7. i dig the look in both shots.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Looks good! Black pickguards on natural are my favorite. I don't know what Leo was thinking when he put white pickguards on.

How do you find the volume on the Nordstrand NP4 versus the stock pickup? I am having volume probs with my MIJ P with stock pickups compared to my MIM P with 1/4 pounders.

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Wow, major vintage mojo

10. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Not a super-hot gain like the SDs, but a definite hotter signal than the stock. I finished up the bass this afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to really give it a workout at rehearsal or gig volume yet. So far, so good, though.

11. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    NICE. Can't help but love it when someone breathes new life into a P-Bass.

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    1) A Leo Quan bridge will not fit under the chrome ashtray.

2) Leo Fender was long gone by the time CBS/Fender started putting white guards on natural bodies on the early 70's.

I like the look.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just to steal your limelight a little bit, this is a picture of my bass stock: (It's not really that yellow.)

[​IMG]

And here's what I did to it. The pickguard is actually tort, but it looks black in the picture.

[​IMG]

14. One of the previous posters was right about the old school look. I have a '78 that looks just like that, even has Chromes on it. However, I'll bet a dollar that your bass is lighter than my boat anchor!