Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P S1???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godspeed68, Jan 20, 2006.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey guys, I've recently been lookin around (mostly online cause local stores don't really have much) for a Fender P. I played a 77 in MPLS the other day, it was ok....pretty dead sounding and the neck was a little thick for my taste ("B" neck?). So I'm trying to decide between finding a cheaper older one, or get one of the newer ones w/ the S1 switching in it. Does anyone have experience w/one of these? If so, how do you like it?

tOm

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I just bought a new Fender MIA P bass with the s1. I love the bass it sounds great but I really don't use the s1 swich.

Attached Files:

3. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    hmmm....anyone else use the S1???

tOm

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
  5. Godspeed, sorry for the stupid question, i have eard something about that S-1 system, can you explain what it is all about?

6. I'm pretty sure its a series/parallel switch. Changing it from a humbucking pbass type sound to a singlecoil sound that sounds more like a jazzbass

I think

7. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    IMO, the S1 switch on a P bass is like a wedding ring on your best buddy; you know that guy who was the wild, sort of abrasive one, the one who never wanted to go home, focused on one thing. You turn on that S1 switch and all of a sudden he's a wet noodle, a shadow of his former self, tired at 1AM, has to leave the table for half an hour because his wife called on the cell. Luckily on a bass, you can hit the switch again and your buddy is back instantly.

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    S-1 switches blow! :eyebrow:

9. The S1 switch gives the P a bit more versatility though I was using one the other day in a store and the switch got stuck in because the shaft (for want of a better word) was dirty.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have the S-1 switch in my MIA P-Bass and I hardly ever use it. IMO it thins the sound out too much, YMMV.

11. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i have a mia p with an s-1 and i also never use it. as was stated it thins out the sound but that doesn't mean you won't ever find a use for it. however as a p-bass the new mia's are wonderful basses. as are the the j's. live or in the studio, they simply sit in the mix like no other. i just don't use the s-1 switch. peace, jeff

12. Yea, and when I say I dont liek the S1 switch in another thread, I get yelled at by the dude with the funny blonde hair (no names).

13. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Tom -

I'm not quite sure where exactly you live but let me recommend a few really good shops to visit ...

Willies American Guitars (Execellent selection but mostly vintage. Pricey. This is where the pros hang out when they come to town.)

American Guitar Boutique (Somewhat limited selection and pricey but a very classy spot.)

Brick House Music (About 45 minutes away across the border. Nice folks and knowledgeable about basses -- talk to Clark.)

Dave's Guitar Shop (A little farther away, in LaCrosse, WI. Decent selection -- lots of Fenders. Think GC without the noise. It's worth the trip just to see Dave's 400+ piece vintage guitar/bass collection. It's valued well into the millions of dollars.)

Check 'em out.