1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender p single coil vs split coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i hear the single coil pickup on original p basses was a little thin compared to the split coil,but how do the hotter aftermarket ones,like muy grande and seymour duncan compare w/ the standard split coil?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Harmonica player in my old band, (still current, I guess, as I'm going to continue with them until they settle on a replacement player... that's a whole other thread), has a '51 RI and the stock p'up is ballsy as all getout! Definitely higher output than my '96 MIA, but I understand what you mean by 'thinner'... IMO, this is a good thing. I like the difference. It doesn't have the same P sound that everybody expects... More raw sounding. Definitely a great recording bass...

I can't compare it to the others you've listed... Personally, I'd see no reason to move from the stock pickup other than a total failure... These aren't the sturdiest pickups around... Definitely do not use it as a thumb-rest. I've read of them falling apart during heavy playing, and I can definitely see that being the case.

-robert

3. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    hows does the hum compare w/ the split coil,and if anyone knows,how is the stock hum vs the aftermarket hum?

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have the fender sting p-bass, and the original pickup was kind of weak sounding, and uneven in volume from string to string.

I replaced it with a seymor duncan basslines vintage singlecoil P, and now the sound is deep and very bass-y!!

great for blues and country.

5. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    well i just answered my own question,i got a 51 and it kills,no pup problems whatsoever,i put my amps polarity on - and the hum goes away.somehow it has the classic p tone,but subtly sweeter.hard to describe.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a reissue single coil Musicmaster and it has a very hot output, even with the cheap pickup. Great tone but quite a bit of hum. However, I have never really bothered to shield it....

Unlike the split P where your thumb is resting on the pickup cover, your thumb rests on the pickup. I added a thumb rest to solve this problem.