Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender p single coil vs split coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i hear the single coil pickup on original p basses was a little thin compared to the split coil,but how do the hotter aftermarket ones,like muy grande and seymour duncan compare w/ the standard split coil?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Harmonica player in my old band, (still current, I guess, as I'm going to continue with them until they settle on a replacement player... that's a whole other thread), has a '51 RI and the stock p'up is ballsy as all getout! Definitely higher output than my '96 MIA, but I understand what you mean by 'thinner'... IMO, this is a good thing. I like the difference. It doesn't have the same P sound that everybody expects... More raw sounding. Definitely a great recording bass...

I can't compare it to the others you've listed... Personally, I'd see no reason to move from the stock pickup other than a total failure... These aren't the sturdiest pickups around... Definitely do not use it as a thumb-rest. I've read of them falling apart during heavy playing, and I can definitely see that being the case.

-robert

3. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    hows does the hum compare w/ the split coil,and if anyone knows,how is the stock hum vs the aftermarket hum?

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have the fender sting p-bass, and the original pickup was kind of weak sounding, and uneven in volume from string to string.

I replaced it with a seymor duncan basslines vintage singlecoil P, and now the sound is deep and very bass-y!!

great for blues and country.

5. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    well i just answered my own question,i got a 51 and it kills,no pup problems whatsoever,i put my amps polarity on - and the hum goes away.somehow it has the classic p tone,but subtly sweeter.hard to describe.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a reissue single coil Musicmaster and it has a very hot output, even with the cheap pickup. Great tone but quite a bit of hum. However, I have never really bothered to shield it....

Unlike the split P where your thumb is resting on the pickup cover, your thumb rests on the pickup. I added a thumb rest to solve this problem.