1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P Std. or '62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rama, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Hey there guys,

I am planning to either buy a Fender AM std. or a '62 reissue bass. Now the only real reason for me to buy a 62 bass is the nitro lacquer. I want to ''funkify'' a bass all by myself.
    Now would it be possible to so with the newer American std?

I don't really care for the neck size differences (I am an upright bassist, I can do 'em all). I do love the Motown sound, but I am just an hobbyist who just to happen to enjoy playing the bass, so I don't need to nail the sound exactly. I just want a bass that would have some serious mojo in in the future.

Thanks for reading guys,
    Rama

P.S. I am not sure if I am on the correct section of the forum.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, nitro aside, the '62 the better of the two basses.

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I personaly would go with the 62, great basses.

4. Well, the '62 reissue will show signs of age much faster. If you love the Motown sound the '62 will be marginally closer sounding than the Std due to the lack of support rods in the neck, though owning the reissue myself I can tell you the neck is certainly sturdy enough without! The general construction is fantastic... if you don't mind the wider neck I'd say go for it.

5. Neither of these will really "funkify" if by that you mean "wear" through the finish like the old, pure nitro finishes. The reissues are finished in nitrocellulose over a poly undercoat. I've seen some with wear but it take a really long time. If you want a pure nitro finish you'll probably have to buy a Custom Shop. I don't know if the Road Worn basses are pure nitro, I'd bet they too have a poly undercoat.

6. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    +1

I had an Am. Std. that I sold within a week to buy a 62 AVRI... and not because of the nitro finish.

7. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I agree, the 62' has it.

Also, the American Standard basses don't have Nitro finishes, just the American Vintage Re-Issues series basses do. (as well as the Road Worns, and Highway Ones)

So if the AVRI 62 is too pricey, you can always grab a Highway One, and get some after market pickups and electronics in there. I bought one from a TBer last May and it plays fantastic, and sounds just like a 62 Jazz should, and was about 3 times less then the AVRI 62 bass would have been.

8. Alright, I think we got a winner here.
    ''Monet'' ain't the issue here, I worked my butt off for this. :)
    Now I need to find a store where they sell the 62 RI, I hope I can keep you guys updated asap.
    Thanks guys.